Jamie-Law
Jamie-Law, Solicitor
Experience:  Solicitor
96104960

I am a tenant and have given my landlord one months notice.

I am a tenant and have given my landlord one months notice. My agreement ended more than a year ago. Because I had found another house and the landlord knew he asked me if I can move earlier than I said so his new tenant can move in. I did everything in my power to get out early. I have now asked him how much rent I owe him and he has stated that I need to pay the full month although I only spent 12 days there and a new tenant moves in before the end if the month. Am I liable to pay this rent

Hello my name is ***** ***** I will help you with this.

No.

You only need to pay for the 12 days you were there. The Landlord wanted you out early and someone else moved in.

He would, in effect, be claiming for 2 lots of tenants.

So you only need the 12 days.

Can I clarify anything for you about this today, please?

If not, I would appreciate a 5-star rating for my answer. If you need anything further I am available for a follow up at no extra cost.

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
He has said that he is being reasonable as he is not asking me to incur any more cost than the notice period and that he could have forced and extension or held me to a six month contract so in light of this I need to pay could he have done any of This? He thinks it's ok because I am no worse off than originally envisages.

No. Notice period was agreed, nothing more.

Does that clarify?

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
Hi Jamie yes thank you. I will look at this going forward. Last question. Is there a law against double renting specifically.. or is this just a case of morality.

It's about mitigating loss. No Court is going to order you pay when its already been claimed and paid for.

It's a contract matter, but Landlord can only sue for breach if there is a loss. New tenant is in - no loss

Does that clarify?

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
Absolutely many many thank...5 star to you.

All the best. If I could ask you to rate my answer before you go today, by clicking on the 5 stars or happy face at the top of the screen, otherwise the site does not pay me for the time spent with you today. It is also an important part of the online process. If you need anything further I am available for a follow up at no extra cost. Thank you in advance and good luck!