F E Smith
F E Smith, Advocate
Experience:  I have been practising for 30 years.
18203470

Don't know if you can help but seem to be hitting a brick

Hello ,don't know if you can help but seem to be hitting a brick wall, my sons grandmother died in 2015 ,and i can't find out whether she left a will. my ex husband hasn't made any contact with my son since the funeral and is currently sitting on a property worth about(###) ###-#### .I personally feel that my sons grandmother would of left him something and if there was no will can this be agrued. I have checked the wills and probate web site ,to no avail .also have tried to contact local solicitors that might of dealt with her wishes

Hello for clarification - are there any other children / grandchildren?

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
both of her sons were adopted ,my ex husband and an older adopted son who is SEN , and only my son as grandson
Customer: replied 1 month ago.
Any other info required

If the will has not been admitted to probate there is no way of finding out whether a will was ever written. There is no central register of Wills and all attempts to put one together have so far failed. The majority of solicitors will get letters on a weekly basis, from other solicitors and potential executors asking whether a will was ever written by them for Mr or Mrs XYZ.

You can try a notice in the newspaper and writing to local solicitors but they rarely come with anything concrete.

If there is no will, then she guys intestate and if her husband is no longer alive, then her estate is inherited totally by her children. That would be your ex-husband and his siblings. If any sibling had died or your ex husband had died, and the deceased had left children (grandchildren) they will take the share which their deceased parent would have taken.

I’m afraid that the question of trying to locate a missing will or even worse, find out whether there was a will which existed at all, is extremely common and there is really no easy way of finding out whether there is one, other than hard slog.

Can I clarify anything else for you? I’m happy to answer any specific points arising from this.

I’m happy to answer any specific points arising from this.

Please take a moment to look at the top right hand corner of the page and rate my service by clicking one of the stars at the top of the screen. It’s important you use the rating service because that gives me credit. It doesn’t just give me a pat on the head! (Although there is an incentive scheme where the more five-star ratings I get, I do actually get a pat on the head! :-)) All you need to do is press Submit. Thank you.

If you still need any point clarifying, I will still reply because the thread does not close.

Best wishes.

FES.