Alex J.
Alex J., Solicitor
Experience:  Solicitors 2 years plus PQE
13113900

My father has died and left a number of debts. There is not

My father has died and left a number of debts. There is not enough money in the estate to pay these. How do I determine who and how much to pay. two of the debts are to debt reclaiming companies from old credit card and telephone bills and the remainder is to the county council for his care home fees. The total value of the estate after funeral fees is £2600

Thank you for your question and welcome. My name is ***** ***** I will assist you. How much money is being demanded from the estate? Kind regards AJ

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
Around £14,000 - most of this to Vanquis Bank and TBI - and just £600 to the Hertfordshire County Council

Thank you. I would start by writing to both Companies and explaining what is left in the estate. Ultimately these are unsecured creditors - they would be paid a sum relative to their debt - what percentage of the overall debt does each creditor represent. HCC are owed £600 out of £14000 - that is 4% of the overall debt. So in theory, they would not be entitled to more than 4% of what is left over. How much are the other creditors worth?

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
TBI are owed £11,148 and Vanquis £1,379. Herts CC are owed £537. So I will write to all three explaining the amounts and proposing to pay them in the ratio of what is owed to them from the remaining monies. Both TBI and Vanquis had suspended interest on the amounts when my father went in to the care home so hopefully there should be no surprises. The only slight complication is that I had paid one of the Herts CC bills for £307 before remembering the credit card companies.

Thank you. When you write to Herts - after they have agreed to the amount the receive - tell them they have to take into account sums already received. The important thing is to get them to agree to the settlement figure in writing? Kind regards AJ

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
Thanks AJ - that has answered my question

No problem. I would be most grateful if you would take a moment to rate my response? Kind regards AJ