Jamie-Law
Jamie-Law, Solicitor
Experience:  Solicitor
96104960

You may be aware of a fire in Hart Lane 18th September 2017

Hi, You may be aware of a fire in White Hart Lane 18th September 2017 at Safehouse storage, check website I used a transport firm to transport my whole house contents from Grece to the UK. I used a company called Asteras Transport Ltd who collected the contents and brought them to the UK. Their warehouse is in Dartford, Kent near to me. I arrived a week later and went to their warehouse to be told that it was stored in a storage unit in White Hart Lane, North London and they were happy for it to remain there until I needed it. I was totally unaware of the fire until November when I requested my good be brought to my home address. Asteras Transport said that investigation into the fire were still taking place and access to the site was not permitted, however they were confident my goods were ok. On Saturday 14th January 2018 the Safehouse Loss adjisters arranged for a site visit of all people affected which I attended with Asteras Transport. It is clear that most of the site has been affected by the fire. I have completed the Safehouse insurance claim form but they will not deal with me directly and I'm not sure how much Asteras Transport is insured for. My question is, should my insurance claim be against Asteras Transport company insurance as the Bailee of my property which clearly has not been returned to me? Thank you.

Hello my name is ***** ***** I will help you with this.

What is it you want to know about this today please?

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
Hi, based on the information given so far my question is, should my insurance claim be against Asteras Transport company insurance as the Bailee of my property which clearly has not been returned to me? What insurance are they required to have as Transport and Storage Service? Thank you.

it would be against the person you contracted. It would therefore be against Asteras.

The Contract is with them. They may well counter sue other parties. But as a matter of contract you sue Asteras.

If you buy a Sony DVD player from Currys and it is faulty, your claim is against Curry’s.

Can I clarify anything for you about this today, please?

If not, I would appreciate a 5-star rating for my answer. If you need anything further I am available for a follow up at no extra cost.

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
By law, should they have insurance to cover claims by their clients? They have only mentioned Safehouse insurance? I don't want to go to the expense of suing at this stage

No. There is no law which says they must have insurance.

But you would think as a commercial business they would. But it is not a legal requirement.

Does that clarify?

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
What type of lawyer do I need to make a compensation claim against them?

Civil litigation - this is a contract dispute.

Does that assist?