Jamie-Law
Jamie-Law, Solicitor
Experience:  Solicitor
96104960

We advertise property for sale and charge a 2% sales fee if

We advertise property for sale and charge a 2% sales fee if the property sells to a buyer we introduce. We have a contract for vendors to sign to this effect.We have just introduced a buyer and a property sale has been concluded, but unfortunately the vendor never signed our contract (we sent one to them but it was never returned). They are not disputing that we introduced the buyer, but they refuse to pay as there is no contract. They are saying they never read or signed one (not that they didn't receive one).Is it possible that there's an implied contract as they used our services, knowing the terms & conditions?Are they obliged to pay?

Hello my name is ***** ***** I will help you with this.

Was the contract sent by email?

Customer: replied 1 month ago.

And did they say something like - thanks. I would like you to proceed etc?

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
No, unfortunately they never replied. In addition I can't find the original emails from them asking to advertise the property with us

Ah. I think you may struggle then. If they had replied saying they would like you to proceed then the fee would be payable.

I think you have a claim, but I am not sure for how much. The law says if there is no contract then someone is entitled to a reasonable fee for reasonable work done.

That is S.51 of the Consumer Rights Act 2015

So you do have protection under the law. But what would be reasonable is up to a Judge, if it gets that far.

If not I would appreciate a 5 star rating for my answer. If you need more help, you can ask follow up questions for free and I would be delighted to assist. Thanks!

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
Ah, I have just found one email where they say "Please advertise our property on your website" - but I´m not sure if it was in response to receiving the agreement. It should have been.

Sure. But see above anyway.

Does that assist?

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
OK thanks!

All the best. If this answers your question could I invite you to rate my answer, 5 stars the happy face on the page before you go today, otherwise the site doesn’t pay me for the time spent with you. Thanks in advance!