12826847

I have had a motoring accident that was my fault. I clipped

Hello. I have had a motoring accident that was my fault. I clipped a stationery car in a car park. Unfortunately I completely panicked and lost all common sense. I couldn't see any damage to the other vehicle so I drove on without leaving my contact and insurance details for the other driver. I was on my lunch break from work and when I got back I as called into a meeting. I have a long-term medical condition which affects my short-term memory and I confess that I didn't even think about reporting the incident to the police. Unfortunately I am now being prosecuted for careless driving plus leaving the scene of an accident and failure to report it. My husband is a lorry driver and works very long hours. So I really depend on my car to get to and from work and get my young children to and from school. I am trying to find out if I might lose my license over this. I know I have been really and stupid but have learnt from the incident since it happened. My license is currently clean.Thanks
Louise
***@******.***

Hi what is your question about this please?

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
I would like to know what the probable punishment for this is and whether I am likely to lose my license.
Customer: replied 1 month ago.
I have trouble processing information over the phone. So if you could write it down that would be very much appreciated. I ave paid the initial fee.

okay. Are you asking what sentence you will face?

Customer: replied 1 month ago.

If you offer a plea to careless driving and they will probably drop the failing to report. They conventionally do that.

probably you would get between 3 to 6 points for the careless driving and the fine plus costs of £80.

If they do insist on pursuing the failing to stop then that carries 6 to 10 points or a potential ban but that is quite unlikely.

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
Thanks very much. That's really helpful. Could they give an outright ban based on both convictions, or is that unlikely too?

they could but that is really unlikely. They don't usually ban people on first offences. I've only ever seen that once that involved the person who had struck a pedestrian who later died and it was possible to prove that if she had stopped and summons help the pedestrian probably would have survived.

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
Okay, thanks a lot for your help.

No problem and all the best.

Remember that I am always available to help with your questions. Even if I am in Court I will usually pick up a question within 12 hours. For future information, please start your question with ‘For Jo C’. You can also bookmark my profile http://www.justanswer.co.uk/law/expert-remus2004/