31090051

I have asked a self-employed roofing contractor to fix some

I have asked a self-employed roofing contractor to fix some leaks in my roof. He has delayed starting the work because he has been unwell with vertigo. He has now asked to start the work. A friend suggested that I might be legally and financially liable if he fell off the roof or scaffolding during the work. Is this correct?

Thanks for your question. You could only ever be responsible for injury to a contractor if you were negligent in some way. If he has asked to start the work and has assured you that his illness is no longer an issue you cannot be held responsible for any incident. He is not your employee. He is an independent contractor and responsible for himself. I hope that helps. Please leave a positive rating so that I am credited for my time.

Let me know if I can help you further.