Jamie-Law
Jamie-Law, Solicitor
Experience:  Solicitor
96104960

I have been victum of fraud. We sent quite allot of money by

I have been victum of fraud.
We sent quite allot of money by bank transfer to a UK based account.
After a couple of days the receving bank suspected fraud and froze the account where our money had gone. Since then the other bank has sent us some partial funds back but its only just over half.
During the investigation the bank told us that the account we sent the money to was been used by an unauthorised third party and not the actual account holder.
Is it possible for us to claim the missing back from the other bank?

Hello my name is ***** ***** I will help you.

How much are we talking about?

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
The total sent in the first place was £89,500

Sadly your claim wouldn’t be against the bank. It may be the account holder but not you. You put money into it. It is a third party who took it out. So it would be that account holder.

You can always try, you have nothing to lose.

You can even go to the financial ombudsman. They offer a free, independent service at www.financial-Ombudsman.org.uk

Can I clarify anything for you about this today, please?

If not, I would appreciate a 5-star rating for my answer. If you need anything further I am available for a follow up at no extra cost.

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
If I were to try and claim the money back from the bank through the county court could it stand any sort of chance? Ie if the banks security was compromised ect.
If the court letter didn’t get a response then it would get automatic judgement. What do you think? Worth a try?

I don’t think you would. The contract is not with you. It is with the account holder.

If you try and lose you would be liable for their legal costs. This would be about £20,000

If you got automatic judgment, they can apply to set aside.

I am sure they would defend a £90k claim.

Does that clairfy?

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
How do I get hold of the details of the fraud investigation so I can see exactly how the account was used and where my money went. We got £54k back, the rest is missing.

You are not entitled to it. If you complain to the police, they are.

Does that clairfy?