29905560

A door to door salesman who professed to be an ex-prisoner

A door to door salesman who professed to be an ex-prisoner trying to turn his life around sold me items of poor quality at inflated prices to help his cause and I signed a piece of paper to say that I would pay for them. However, having now discovered it was a scam, does the signed piece of paper constitute a binding contract or can I simply hand him back the goods?

Hello, my name is***** am a qualified lawyer and I will be assisting you with your question today.

So have you made any payments so far?

Also what information did he provide for himself exactly and how long ago was this?

Customer: replied 27 days ago.
I gave him £45 in cash as I thought I was helping a genuine case, although that was more than the goods were worth!He did not disclose his name and said he was being sponsored by the probation service
Customer: replied 27 days ago.
This happened on Friday last week in mid afternoon.

OK, thank you for your response. Leave it with me for now and I will review the relevant information and laws and get back to you at the earliest opportunity. There is no need to wait here as you will receive an email when I have responded. Also, please do not respond to this message as it will just push your question to the back of the queue and you may experience unnecessary delays. Thank you.

Many thanks for your patience. If you were sold the goods on false representations, you can certainly argue that the contract should be void and not binding because had you known the true position you would not have entered into it. Therefore, if you were misled and misrepresented into entering into it, you can argue that it is not valid and that you should not be forced into continuing with it.

If he disagrees with this the only way for him to challenge it would be to take you to court, but considering what happened it would be highly unlikely he would risk doing that, plus also have to pay the court fees to initiate the claim. Whilst he may threaten you to do this, chances are he won’t so confidently reject the goods, state that the contract is void due to misrepresentation and that you will not be continuing with it,.

I trust this has answered your query. Please take a second to leave a positive rating by selecting 3, 4 or 5 stars above - this is an important part of our process and recognises the time I have spent assisting you. If you still need me to clarify anything else, please reply on here and I will assist as best as I can. Thank you