Matt, Mechanical Engineer
Experience:  BEng hons Mech engineering, in auto industry 22 years
12772297

99 LEXUS GS400 P1349 CODE I CHANGED OUT CAMSHAFT TIMING SENOR

Customer Question

99 LEXUS GS400 P1349 CODE I CHANGED OUT CAMSHAFT TIMING SENOR AND I CHECKED THE CAMSHAFT TIMING OIL SENOR, WHAT ELSE COULD IT BE?
Category: Lexus
Expert:  Gina-Moderator replied 4 years ago.

I'm a moderator for this topic. I've been working hard to find a Professional to assist you with your Lexus, but sometimes finding the right professional can take a little longer than expected.

Gina~Moderator
Customer: replied 4 years ago.

Yes i can wait.

Hello:

Thank you for your continued patience. We will continue the search for a Professional for you.

Best,

Gina
Expert:  Matt replied 4 years ago.

how is the car driving with this fault ?

any shuddering on acceleration or poor idle speed control or trouble starting?
Customer: replied 4 years ago.

Poor idle speed no trouble starting just drove 230 miles speed of 80mphall the way on issues but when stop at traffic lights idleing off

Customer: replied 4 years ago.

Poor idle speed no trouble starting just drove 230 miles speed of 80mphall the way on issues but when stop at traffic lights poor ideling

Expert:  Matt replied 4 years ago.

poor idle speed control is more a sign of a vacuum / air leak than a fault cam sensor - although it can still have this effect

if you have poor fuel consumption this would be another sign of a faulty cam sensor. as you don't mention this I wonder if the fault isn't something else and this code is either old / uncleared or its not been read off with a scan tool thats completely compatible as you can often get misleading codes with generic tools

This could be an airleak after the airflow meter, any air dragged in here isn't 'seen' by the ECU and so not compensated for and can lean the engine out and can also allow the engine to rev up when not desired causing rough running.
As its a mechanical fault it tends not to turn on the fault light and you can sometimes hear a 'hissing' noise with the engine running.

Check the hose clips for tightness and inspect the trunking for any cracks or splits and also all the vacuum system, the small bore pipes and fittings for cracks and missing parts.

The best way to locate a leak is to have the engine running and warm and then spray lighter gas /propane around each joint in turn. If the engine rev's up you've found your leak.
Work your way through each possible joint one at a time and you should find it. I use a slightly flattened piece of brake pipe and some rubber hose from the can of lighter gas to provide a spraying 'wand' and allow a direct blast of gas into each area, especially those difficult to reach with large implements.