Ashik
Ashik, Mac Technician
Experience:  Bachelor of Computer Application (BCA), 9+ Years of Experience in troubleshooting Macs, iPhone, iPad, iPod etc
16433418

Hello I recently had my hard drive replaced in my iMac

Customer Question

I recently had my hard drive replaced in my iMac because it melted I was told , now when I've tried to down load Rapport for security and the mac asked for my name and password, it wouldn't except my name and to be honest I've tried all the passwords I 've had in the past. I do have an apple I.D. and password XXXXX works with iTunes. The problem is it dosen't tell me how to either reset my name and password XXXXX the mac so I can go further to install adobe flash player. ps , i'm not that great with computers , hence why I bought a mac in the first place. Thanks Tony
Category: Mac
Expert:  Ashik replied 3 years ago.
Hi and Welcome. My Name is Ashik and I look forward to assisting you today with your question.

It is asking for the Administrator password. We can reset it. What version of Mac OS X are you using ?
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

hi Ashik

it's OS X 10.7.5

It's not asking for anything the box where I try to enter my name and password just shakes from side to side

Expert:  Ashik replied 3 years ago.
Hi Tony, Frst we can reset your administrator password. We can reset the password by booting into Lion Utilities directly.

• Turn off your Mac.
  • Turn in back on and immediately hold down Option key at boot and select the “Recovery” disk at the boot menu (Alternatively, to boot into Lion Utilities restart your Mac and immediately hold down Command and R keys)
  • This will boot your Mac to Mac OS X Utilities” (Recovery) menu
  • Click on the “Utilities” menu in top and select “Terminal"
  • Type (without space) resetpassword and press return
  • Confirm the user account and then change password and reboot as normal.

Then follow the steps below;

1. Goto Applications > Utilities folder and open Keychain Access
  2. From the Keychain Access menu, choose Preferences.
  3. Click Reset My Keychain, which is under the General pane.
  4. Authenticate with your account administrator password.
  5. Quit Keychain Access.

Now, try with your new password and it should work. Please let me know if that didn't work, so we can continue troubleshooting. If you are talking to me from this Mac, then add a bookmark of this page first, so you can get back to me directly after restart.

Best Regards,
Ashik
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Sorry to sound thick but which is the options key?

Expert:  Ashik replied 3 years ago.
No Worries. Option key is the alt key next to Control key. If you have any questions, please don't hesitate to ask :)
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

I 've held down the option key when I turn the mac on again and a picture of a hard drive comes up with an arrow below, something only happens when I click the arrow and it goes into reopening the computer again not into the boot menu

Expert:  Ashik replied 3 years ago.
Try holding down Command and R keys at the same time instead of Option. Did that work ?
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

I tried holding down the command and R key but it just keeps restarting?

Expert:  Ashik replied 3 years ago.
What is the exact version of Mac OS X are you using? Click on the Apple icon and select About This Mac
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

It says version 10.7.5

Expert:  Ashik replied 3 years ago.
Then it is supposed to boot into Mac OS X Utilities. It seems like the OS X didn't install properly. We can try different method.

• Reboot your Mac
  • Immediately hold down the Command(Apple) + S key to boot into Single User Mode
  • When you see the text prompt, type in the following terminal commands to create a brand new Admininstrator account (hitting return after each line):
mount -uw /
rm /var/db/.AppleSetupDone
shutdown -h now

After rebooting, you should be able to create a brand new Administrator account. So create a new account. Then goto System Preferences > Accounts, select your old account and change the password. Then logout from Apple menu and login to the old account
. Let me know how it goes..
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

hi

I tried what you suggested, a black screen came up and then a curser i think its called came up , I typed in the txt as you said pressing return after each line but nothing happened when I finished ?

All this rebooting wont be hurting the mac will it?

it s just I've just spent all lot of money to have the hard drive replaced

Expert:  Ashik replied 3 years ago.
No Tony, it won't hurt your Mac. When you reinstall OS X, the Recovery HD will be installed as default. But in this case I think it didn't install on your Mac properly.

When you finished typing it, your Mac is supposed to turn off automatically. Didn't it turn off when you hit return after last line ?

Also, is your Mac is connected to the internet ?
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

No it didn't turn off when I typed the last line and yes I connected to the internet.

Expert:  Ashik replied 3 years ago.
Thats strange. Something is wrong with your Mac. Lets try one more time the first step. Turn off your Mac. Unplug the Power cable from your Mac. Wait 2 minutes and connect it back. Then turn on your Mac and immediately after 2 seconds or startup sound, press and hold down Command and R keys simultaneosly. Keep it held down until it boot into Mac OS X Utilities or to desktop. Please let know if it still not booting into Mac OS X Utilities.

If possible, connect your Mac to the Internet via an ethernet cable.
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

I did as asked , if I keep holding the command and the R keys , the mac just keeps restarting with the sound starting again, when i released the key it just opens as usual going to the desk top.

i am connected via the ethernet cable

Expert:  Ashik replied 3 years ago.
Tony, your Mac is trying to boot into the Recovery Partition, but it can't. Since your Mac don't have the Recovery HD, we can try to make new one using an external drive (like flash drive, usb hdd etc).

Download the Disk Maker from here : http://liondiskmaker.com/

Open it and follow the onscreen instructions to make Recovery disk. If you get any errors, please let me know.

Also Tony, do you have access to another Mac (with 10.7 Lion installed) ?
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Sorry i don't have access to another mac.

I did as you asked , went to the site but it dosen't seem to be accepting the command and to be honest I'm unsure now what Im doing and don't want to make things worse . i've only just got the mac back a week, i think I'm going to have to get some one in

Expert:  Ashik replied 3 years ago.
Tony, Trust me, we are doing the correct troubleshooting steps. And you are doing it correctly. But the problem is with your Mac. The tech who replaced the hard drive didn't install 10.7 Lion properly. If he/she installed it properly, your Mac will have an (hidden) Recovery HD.

Is there any way you can get access to other Mac (with 10.7 Lion)?

Or do you have any Mac OS X installation discs came with your Mac ?
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

I have the mac OS X install disc 1 and 2 but the little book say s to save all files and I don't have a memory stick to put the data file on because theres so much on it from my last hard drive and im affriad to loose all that info

Expert:  Ashik replied 3 years ago.
Are those discs came with your Mac Tony ?

Can you buy some blank DVDs ?
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Yes they did

Yes but not at the moment its nearly 9 in the evening here, shops are closed

Expert:  Ashik replied 3 years ago.
Tony, First buy some blank DVDs and backup all your important files to them. You can burn your files to the DVD. Follow the instructions here : http://www.dummies.com/how-to/content/how-to-burn-cds-or-dvds-in-mac-os-x-lion.html

(I'd recommend you to buy an external hard drive as that is the best and easiest way and you will have a additional backup of your files too)

Once you backed up all your files, we can erase the hard drive and install fresh OS X from your Mac OS X installation discs. After that, we can restore your files back from the DVD. You can try that tomorrow. Let me know what you think about it Tony.

Meantime, please try the following steps Tony

• Shut down your Mac and turn it back on while holding down the Command and S keys. You will see black screen with text in white (this mode is called Single User mode)
  • At the prompt, type fsck -fy and press Enter.
  • Once the disk check is complete, type mount -uw / (note the spaces between the commands) and press Enter/Return
  • Type launchctl load /System/Library/LaunchDaemons/com.apple.opendirectoryd.plist and press Enter.
  • Type ls /Users and press Enter. Now this will show all usernames on this system.
  • Type dscl . passwd /Users/username password Replace username with those which you saw in previous step and password with your new password.

Say your username is trickstree and your new password is trickstreeuser

Then you should type dscl . passwd /Users/ trickstree trickstreeuser

• Press Enter. You might get message that directory does not exists. Ignore it and reboot your system. Try the new password.

Best Regards,

Ashik

Expert:  Ashik replied 3 years ago.
Hi Tony, if you want we can continue this tomorrow. Just add a bookmark of this page, so you can get back to me tomorrow.
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

thank you for your patients , I wiil do .

Expert:  Ashik replied 3 years ago.
You're most welcome Tony :) Good Night
Expert:  Ashik replied 3 years ago.
Hi Tony,
Just checking, how is it going?
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Hello Ashik

I haven't had a chance to get anew external hard drive as yet , I will have to wait till next week now because of work commitments to proceed further.

Tony

Expert:  Ashik replied 3 years ago.
Ok Tony. We can continue this later...

Have a great day,
Ashik