Mike the Mac Medic
Mike the Mac Medic, Mac Support Specialist
Experience:  Over 20 years IT experience with Apple computers in publishing, marketing and design.
25267123

Sony Handycam sr7e: How do I view and copy pics on duo memory

Customer Question

Sony Handycam sr7e: How do I view and copy pics on duo memory stick into my Apple Mac? Sony instructions as clear as mud.
Category: Mac
Expert:  Mike the Mac Medic replied 4 years ago.
Please go to the Apple logo on the upper left of the screen, go to About This Mac (DO NOT Select More Info), and tell me the Version (under Mac OS X), the Processor and the Memory, it is all right there. Also do you have an adapter to plug the card directly into your Mac via USB?
Customer: replied 4 years ago.

OSX 10.8.3 I assume this is Snow Leopard, correct?

Sorry, no adaptor

Customer: replied 4 years ago.
Relist: Other.
Did not answer in time specified
Customer: replied 4 years ago.

ARE YOU AVAILABLE NOW?!

Customer: replied 4 years ago.

Can you give me approx time to reply, I don't wish to sit here all day!

Sorry I am in USA CT. I suggest you get an adapter and plug the card directly into your Mac via USB. Then iPhoto or Aperture will recognize the card and allow you to import the pictures or video. You can come back after you get that if you have any problems.
Customer: replied 4 years ago.

I have to travel 20 miles to get an adapter! Surely, there is another way? Sony give one in their Handbook but I simply cannot understand it, what is your take on it?

Your system is Mountain Lion. Have you tried opening iMovie with the camera plugged in?
From what I see you have to use the bundled dock as the camera itself does not have a USB port.
Customer: replied 4 years ago.

My docking station does not have a USB port either

Customer: replied 4 years ago.

Have you looked at the Sony SR7E Handycam Operating Guide? Pages 23 to 45 cover it in a confusing way which I cannot comprehend. I want you to interpret!

It is a mini USB plug that looks like this #3:

I am looking at the manual but you can't do anything unless you can plug it into the computer. Do you have the cable?
Customer: replied 4 years ago.

Yes, I have it connected from the dock via the USB into my hub and then the Mac

I suggest you plug it directly into the Mac the hub may not work. Then open iMovie and click on import icon which looks like a little camera.

Customer: replied 4 years ago.

That camera is the Apple camera so I get a picture of myself typing this message to you!

Customer: replied 4 years ago.

02 June 2013 12:03EST

I tried it yesterday and got same result.

Is it plugged into the Mac directly? Do you see it listed when you select the camera icon?

Customer: replied 4 years ago.

Yes, I plugged into back of computer. Is the camera icon that you refer to the same one in the middle of the screen to the left? It comes up with "Open camera import window". I cannot see the image you sent. Have I missed something?!

Customer: replied 4 years ago.

Update

I found it and selected capture which recorded a movie of myself. What now?

The Camera Import window should pop up like this, you don't see your Sony in the list:

Quit iMovie:

Connect camera to Mac select HDD on camera screen.
Wait until disc called NO NAME appears on desktop
THEN open imovie. Select Import if it does not open automatically
Customer: replied 4 years ago.

A silly little stumbling block near the last fence, when I hover over the camera icon it reads "Open camera import window" and shows the square with circles in the corner (what is it called?) and an "i" or "1" which I press together but it opens to the built in site. I don't know what I did last time to make it work! How do you do make it work?

Do you mean the built in camera? Select the Camera button do you see the Sony?

Customer: replied 4 years ago.

Yes, I get the built in camera or "built in iSite" as it states in a box next to the word "Camera" (button?) and myself typing etc. It states Done & Capture next to my pic which then records me. I cannot see "Sony". If I did I think I would shoot it!

Did you quit iMovie first? If not please do then restart the computer.
Did you select HDD on camera screen?
Do you see a disc called NO NAME on desktop after restart?
Customer: replied 4 years ago.

I have closed iMovie and restarted but how do I select HDD on camera screen? I pressed the Home button.

When I open screen I get HD SP in top right

No NO NAME on d top

It might say "computer" not HDD.
There may be something wrong with the memory stick try this on page 59 of the manual:

Customer: replied 4 years ago.

There are two words saying computer, is it the one with the disc next to it?

Yes
Customer: replied 4 years ago.

Did test, no stick problems.

Selected computer with disc

I can select Sony Camcorder from the camera pic but it only opens up the movies which is what I did yesterday and now have them saved, no mention of stills so I still have same problem, how do I get to them?

Customer: replied 4 years ago.

When it states "Open camera import window" should it not give an option to open movies or pics? If so, where so I can open the latter?!

Customer: replied 4 years ago.

Any response to mine of 14.21 and 14.27? Sorry if you are at lunch.

I will stay online for 3 more hours. I would like to crack it as I have a lot of stills to save on my Apple.

Sorry internet problem. Try opening iPhoto
Customer: replied 4 years ago.

I don't understand what you mean.

I have now had to get answer from alternative source because the problem was not resolved.