Mike the Mac Medic
Mike the Mac Medic, Mac Support Specialist
Experience:  Over 20 years IT experience with Apple computers in publishing, marketing and design.
25267123

I have an Imac desk top about 5 years old. We have been away

Customer Question

I have an Imac desk top about 5 years old. We have been away for 7 weeks. when I turned it on it comes up with the Apple sign and the wheel. The wheel just turns and nothing happens. Can you help. You have helped me before with my Kindle.

Michael [email protected] [email protected]
Category: Mac
Expert:  Mike the Mac Medic replied 4 years ago.
Hold the power button for about 10 seconds to turn it off then turn it back on and hold the Shift key until you see the Apple Logo. It may take a while to start up but if it does start up ok, restart the normal way and let me know either way.
Customer: replied 4 years ago.

When I follow your instructions and hold the shift key after a few minutes a black file appears in the middle of the screen. In the middle of the small file

there is a question mark '?'. The file and question mark is flashing.

I will look at your response in the morning. It is mid-night here.

Michael

That usually means the hard drive has failed. Do you have a backup? Do you have the original system disk? Let me know when you are online again.