Mike the Mac Medic
Mike the Mac Medic, Mac Support Specialist
Experience:  Over 20 years IT experience with Apple computers in publishing, marketing and design.
25267123

Just sent my question but my computer kicked me out! Ive

Customer Question

Just sent my question but my computer kicked me out! I've uploaded IOS7 onto my iPhone & iPad and set up passcodes. Unfortunately I thought I'd set up the same 4 digit code for both but obviously haven't because I've disabled my iPad. How do I unlock it please?
Category: Mac
Expert:  Michelle replied 3 years ago.

Michelle :

Hi, and welcome! My name is Michelle and I am excited to get started with you.

Michelle :

Since you do not remember the 4- digit passcode, you will need to restore your iPad back to factory settings. Do you have a backup?

JACUSTOMER-rpft53wq- :

I backed up about a week ago on my laptop

Michelle :

Ok good. Let restore your iPad first. Plug your iPad into your computer and launch iTunes.

Next, Press and hold both the sleep and home button at the same time until the connect to itunes logo appears. The sleep button is located at the upper right corner and the home button is the round button on the bottom front bezel of your iPad

JACUSTOMER-rpft53wq- :

Okay done that

Michelle :

Now in itunes on your computer, it should say that your iPad is in recovery mode

Michelle :

Click on Restore

JACUSTOMER-rpft53wq- :

I just got the apple logo when I pressed the 2 keys together

JACUSTOMER-rpft53wq- :

Got it! Do I press to go ahead and restore?

Michelle :

Yes

Michelle :

The restoration process will take about 15 mins. Then your iPhone will be up next.

JACUSTOMER-rpft53wq- :

My phone is okay thanks. As it's restoring back to factory settings there wont be a passcode will there???

JACUSTOMER-rpft53wq- :

Oh dear, iPad could not be restored - an unknown error occurred (3194)

Michelle :

Nope It will be back to how it was when you first set it up. It will ask you to setup a passcode again.But you can decline. You will see the option to decline in blue ink in the center of your screen

Michelle :

You will need to update your itunes. Do you have a mac or PC

JACUSTOMER-rpft53wq- :

Shall I just keep trying?

Michelle :

You can try it again. If it fails, I will have you download the latest version of itunes

JACUSTOMER-rpft53wq- :

I've just got a message saying I need the latest version! Can you read my mind???

Michelle :

Ha ha. I knew. Here is the link http://www.apple.com/itunes/download/

JACUSTOMER-rpft53wq- :

Seems to be working now. I'll just hang on here in case it goes wrong!

Michelle :

I will be here until the end :)

JACUSTOMER-rpft53wq- :

Unknown error (3194) again!

Michelle :

Click on iTunes in the top menu bar and choose about iTunes. Can you read me the version number

JACUSTOMER-rpft53wq- :

It still seems to be uploading the latest version

Michelle :

Ok so thats probably why you still got the error message.
When it is done installing the latest version. Try again. Make sure itunes is closed

JACUSTOMER-rpft53wq- :

Seems to be working this time ~ sigh~ 62 minutes remaining....

Michelle :

Great. Let me know as soon as its done

JACUSTOMER-rpft53wq- :

This'll teach me to forget my passcode - certainly wont be doing it again!

Michelle :

We live and we learn.

Michelle :

.

Michelle :

I am just checking in with you to see how far along you are with the restoration process

JACUSTOMER-rpft53wq- : It ran through the whole process but when I opened iPad it was still asking for pass code, so after 2 hours I've given up tonight. I'll try again tomorrow
Michelle :

I understand. Try it again tomorrow. Place it into recovery mode again.
1. Turn off iPad
2. Press and hold the Home button and connect your iPad to your computer while still holding down the home button. Continue to hold down the home button until your iPad shows up in recovery mode.

If you can not enter recovery mode this way, press and hold both home and sleep button until it pops up into recovery mode as we did earlier.
3. Hit Restore.
4. When it restores, set it up as a new iPad
I will chat with you tomorrow

Michelle :

Also, please make sure when you set up your device again, you are mistaken the passcode setup for your iPad asking for a passcode. Click on Don't Add Passcode

Full Size Image