John T. F.
John T. F., Mac Druid
Experience:  20+ years in the computer/Mac industry
60674955

hi im having a problem with my mac duplicating everything from

Customer Question

hi im having a problem with my mac duplicating everything from music to films and moresome are being duplicated up to 7-30 times and instead of it taking up 400gb the itunes libery is taking up over 1000gb and when i try to up date my iphone or ipad i get a message telling me that it cant be done because i only have 989mb left on my hard drive
Category: Mac
Expert:  John T. F. replied 3 years ago.
Hello! My name is John, I will work diligently to provide accurate advice and information.

Attachments are only available to registered users.

Register Here

Can you tell me what version of OS X you are currently running?

Click the Apple Logo in the menubar at the top of the screen

Select "About This Mac"

In the window that opens, look for the "Version" information. Please let me know what it says.

Thanks,
John
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

hi the version is 10.8.5

Thanks, Michael.

First, let's make sure your OS X file system is in stable condition;

Shutdown your Mac.

Restart and, as soon as you hear the startup chime, press and hold the “OPTION” key at boot until the boot menu appears and then select the “Recovery HD" option. (Alternative: Restart, hold COMMAND + R keys until you see the Apple logo and progress indicator. If neither of those work, try COMMAND + R + OPT.)

Wait for “OS X Utilities” menu to appear (DO NOT CHOOSE TO INSTALL)

Choose Disk Utility from the available options.

In Disk Utility, select your normal, bootable hard drive volume from the list in the sidebar (usually "Macintosh HD").

Then, Click "Repair Disk"

If it finds errors, repeat the process until it reports the drive is OK.

Next, click "Repair Disk Permissions"

Then, restart your Mac and it should boot back into your normal Desktop.

There are two possible ways to remove duplicated tracks from your music library. The official method is a manual one and may be tedious for your situation.... An alternative is also given using a 3rd party app.

To remove duplicates from iTunes (manual method):

Open iTunes

Click the View item in the menu bar at the top of the screen.

Hold the OPTION key down on the keyboard while selecting "Show Exact Duplicate Items". This will show only duplicate songs having the same name, artist, and album.

Duplicate items will be sorted next to one another. Review each item to determine which one you'd like to remove from your library.

Then remove the duplicate item by choosing Edit > Delete. When it asks if you wish to move the iem to the Trash, confirm that you do. Then Empty Trash.

When you are finished, click "Done".

To remove duplicates from iTunes (Automatic method):
For a large number of duplicates, the above manual method may not be effective. In this case you may wish to use a 3rd party utilitity like Dupe Away:
http://www.macroplant.com/dupeaway/

It's fairly simple to use and there is a free trial.

If you still have concerns, please do not negatively rate my answer, simply reply back before rating. I'll be more than happy to work with you further. Hopefully, this info will answer your question. When you are satisfied, please give my answers a positive rating. You are judging my personal service only (not this website or your issue) and high ratings assure I remain in good standing.

Thanks and good luck,
John