John T. F.
John T. F., Mac Druid
Experience:  20+ years in the computer/Mac industry
60674955

Hi, i have a macbook pro and i was doing an assignment on my

Customer Question

Hi, i have a macbook pro and i was doing an assignment on my computer an for some reason a window popped up an i closed it. Word unexpectedly closed clearing my work an i was not able to save the document
Category: Mac
Expert:  John T. F. replied 3 years ago.
Hello! My name is John, I will work diligently to provide accurate advice and information.

Attachments are only available to registered users.

Register Here

Can you tell me what version of OS X you are currently running?

Click the Apple Logo in the menubar at the top of the screen

Select "About This Mac"

In the window that opens, look for the "Version" information. Please let me know what it says.
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

how would i know if i am getting a reply.

Hi, I just posted a reply to you, did you not receive it the first time?

Customer: replied 3 years ago.

I was doing an assignment on my laptop on Word, so a message popped up and i closed it. Word closed an my work got closed an it didnt save. i want to know if i can retrieve my work because i have been trying feverishly an i need to turn it in in literally hours

I can certainly guide you to try and locate a cached copy of the document but it must be said that there are no promises here, given the circumstances. It's possible the final answer could be rather unpleasant, though we can hope for the best, so please don't shoot the messenger.

Register Here

Select "About This Mac"

Customer: replied 3 years ago.

I will try anything at this moment. Please guide me.

Okay, first I really need to know what version of OS X you have installed. Click the Apple Logo in the menubar at the top left of the screen. Select "About This Mac". Then, in the window that opens, look for the "Version" information. Please let me know what it says.
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

The version is 10.6.8 thats my version

Ok, great!

Chances are if the document has never been saved then you may have trouble finding it but; follow the below instructions and see if you can locate a temporary cache of the document. You must take it step by step very carefully.

1) First, if you've restarted since losing the file, look in your trash for a "Recovered items" folder. It may contain a copy of the unsaved document. if not...

2) Microsoft Office has an Autorecovery function that saves some files when, for example, there's a power loss. These files are located in the home folder, in the Library

To find this, click "Go" in the Finder menu bar at the top of the screen

Select Library.

In Library, open a folder called Application Support.

Open Microsoft.

Open Office.

In that folder are a number of folders, one of which may be Office AutoRecovery if files are available. Click that, and any files saved by the autorecovery function will be displayed. If this folder can not be found or there is no AutoRecovery folder, then move on to step 3.

3) If the above doesn't work, next, Go to the Finder

select Go in the menu bar and click "Go to Folder..."

type

/private/var/folders

and click the Go button.

Look for files or folders named "Word Work File" inside a "Temporary items" folder.

You should option-drag files or folders to the Desktop (or anywhere else) before dropping them on Word's icon. Don't delete anything!

If your file is still cached on the drive somewhere then that is the most likely place, however the cache files do not exist for long and are automatically deleted by the system.

Recovery of unsaved files is slim so if the above does not turn up a copy of your file, again please don't shoot the messenger. :-)

If you still have concerns, please do not negatively rate my answer, simply reply back before rating. I'll be more than happy to work with you further. Hopefully, this info will answer your question. When you are satisfied, please give my answers a positive rating. You are judging my personal service only (not this website or your issue) and high ratings assure I remain in good standing.

Thanks and good luck,
John
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

for the first one, i dont see library in the pull down arrow

Okay, if Library is not present for you then choose "Home" and open the Library folder directly from there.
Howdy!

I'm just following up with you to see how everything is going. If you need further assistance on this issue, please let me know. If you are satisfied but have not yet rated, please do so. Excellent ratings assure I remain in good standing.

Also, feel free to request me again at any time when you come back to ask another Apple-related question.

I can be reached directly via the following page:
http://www.justanswer.com/computer/expert-macdruid/

Thanks,
John