Michelle
Michelle, Mac Technician
Experience:  Apple Computers and Mobile support with 12 years of exp.
70409726

My MacBook Pro will not boot up all I get is the flashing question

Customer Question

My MacBook Pro will not boot up all I get is the flashing question mark. I suspect that I have overloaded the thing with video. Any suggestions.
Category: Mac
Expert:  Michelle replied 3 years ago.

Michelle :

Hi, and welcome! My name is Michelle and I am excited to get started with you.

Michelle :

It certainly sounds like your hard drive space is too low to boot up. Try to boot into Safe mode. Do do this, boot up while pressing and holding the Shift Key

JACUSTOMER-ihsaguh3- : ,Michelle can I get back to you on this one as my install disc is not with me at the moment.
Michelle :

You may not need it yet

Michelle :

You can try to see if you can boot into safe mode first

Michelle :

That way you should be able to delete files from there

JACUSTOMER-ihsaguh3- : Still getting the flashing question mark, won't let me go any further
Michelle :

Did you press and hold the shift key down long enough immediately after starting your mac?

Michelle :

If you are still getting a flashing folder, it means you Mac can not even locate or recognize your hard drive as a bootable drive. Do you have a backup of your data?

JACUSTOMER-ihsaguh3- : No foolishly no backup. But may have to sacrifice if that is necessary. Nothing majorly important. Most of my video clips are on an external hard drive.
Michelle :

Ok well you do have 2 options.
Option #1: Erase your hard drive and re-install OS
Options#2: You can connect this mac to another mac using firewire cable and attempt to transfer data over.

Michelle :

Which option works best for you?

JACUSTOMER-ihsaguh3- : The latter obviously, but if that does not work then a complete erase will have to be.
Michelle :

Is the computer that you are chatting from now a mac?

JACUSTOMER-ihsaguh3- : An ipad
Michelle :

Do you have access to another mac?

JACUSTOMER-ihsaguh3- : Yes my daughter has a MacBook but not here at the moment.
Michelle :

Is it the white macbook? Also, do you have a firewire cable handy?

JACUSTOMER-ihsaguh3- : No other mac or cable handy at the moment.
Michelle :

Well we will still need your installation disk anyway. Since you do not have the disk anyways, why don't you see if you can obtain access to another mac or cable. I can also leave you with instructions to erase and re-install your hard drive just incase. What operating system are you running

JACUSTOMER-ihsaguh3- : Not sure not got the info with me at the moment. The MacBook is 4 to. 5 years old.
Michelle :

No worries. You can get back to me when you have access to the disk and I will walk you through

JACUSTOMER-ihsaguh3- : Thanks Michelle will get back to you as soon as possible
Michelle :

You are very welcome. Just bookmark this page or click on the link in your email. Chat with you soon

Michelle :

Good Morning, I just wanted to follow up with you to see if you were able to gain access to the other mac or if you found your installation disk