Mike the Mac Medic
Mike the Mac Medic, Mac Support Specialist
Experience:  Over 20 years IT experience with Apple computers in publishing, marketing and design.
25267123

im trying to re install os x Lion so as to reboot my Mac.

Customer Question

i'm trying to re install os x Lion so as to reboot my Mac. However it's saying I need an additional 1.99GB of disk space and to remove some items. How do I do that when I can't get access to my files/photos ets?
Category: Mac
Expert:  Mike the Mac Medic replied 3 years ago.

Do you have another Mac around with Firewire? If they both had Thunderbolt connectors that would also work.

Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Unfortunately I don't

Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Unfortunately I don't. I Am I paying £42.00 per answer?

No only at the end if you are satisfied. What model Mac is it?
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

It's a Macbook Pro 15" late 2008. It's running OS X Lion and use Safari

OK but you didn't actually get through the reinstall process correct? Quit the Installer and open Disk Utility while still in Recovery HD mode, and Continue. Then select Macintosh HD on the left and first Verify Disk on the right and if that is OK Repair Permissions. If Verify Disk is not OK try to Repair Disk. Let me know after

Customer: replied 3 years ago.

It say's Updating boot support partitions for the volume as required. I tried to install Parallels deskstop (to enable me to use a Canon Pixma printer) last week and my Mac obviously didn't have enough space to install it and I think that's what's caused the problem!????

Ok can you start up at all now?
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

No. If I try, I get the "BIG" apple and the wheel keeps spinning. Is it possible to increase the Mackintosh HD drive from 250 GB whilst in recovery mode to alloy me to boot up?

No the drive is fixed at that size. If you had or could borrow another Mac you could start it up in Target Disk mode by holding the T key on startup and them plug it into the other Mac and the drive will show up on the Desktop of the other Mac allowing you to trash some files. It may be possible to Trash the Parallels folder using the Single User mode do you want to try that?
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Unfortunately I don't have another Mac. I only got Paralles desktop to enable me to use a Canon printer. Any other ideas?

Yes but Paralles makes a virtual disk to boot from that may be taking up a lot of space depending on what options you chose and removing it may give you enough room to reinstall. Other than that your only option is to remove the drive and plug it in to an external enclosute to mount on another Mac and remove the files. So either way you will need another Mac just to do it.
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

I don't understand how, when trying to install a program it didn't say you haven't got enough space?? I'm obviously going to have to take it into a Apple shop? Have you any idea how much it might cost?

Yes there may have beem enough room for whatever you installed but there is not enough room for a reinstall of the system becaue obvioulsy it needs a lot more sapce than you have. I can't tell you how much it would cost I would guess it would be minimal unless there is a more serious problem. Good luck