John T. F.
John T. F., Mac Druid
Experience:  20+ years in the computer/Mac industry
60674955

I cant remember the password XXXXX my apple computer so it wont

Customer Question

I cant remember the password XXXXX my apple computer so it won't let me down load silverlight software to watch sky movies ? How do I get around this ? Help Please :)
Category: Mac
Expert:  John T. F. replied 2 years ago.
Hello! My name is John, I will work diligently to provide accurate advice and information.

Attachments are only available to registered users.

Register Here

Can you tell me the exact version of OS X you are currently running, please?

Click the Apple logo in the menu bar at the top left of the screen

Select "About This Mac"

In the window that opens, look for the "Version" information. Please let me know what it says.

Thanks,
John
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

Hello John,

Version Mac OS X 10.7.5

Customer: replied 2 years ago.

Hello John,

Version 10.7.5 MAC OS X

Thanks, Josephine.

Shutdown your Mac.

Restart and, as soon as you hear the startup chime, press and hold the “OPTION” key at boot until the boot menu appears. (Alternative: Restart, hold COMMAND + R keys until you see the Apple logo and progress indicator. If neither of those work, try COMMAND + R + OPT.)

Then, select the “Recovery" volume.

Wait for “OS X Utilities” menu to appear (DO NOT RE-INSTALL)

Click on the “Utilities” option in the menubar the the top of the screen and select “Terminal”

Type the following at the prompt:

resetpassword

and press Return on the keyboard.

Select the Macintosh HD volume and the user account. To change the password, type it in both places, and a hint, then click the Save button.

Register Here

Register Here

Register Here
View Full Image

Register Here

Restart your Mac and, hopefully, you can now use the pasword to install Silverlight.

If you still have concerns, please do not negatively rate my answer, simply reply back before rating. I'll be more than happy to work with you further. Hopefully, this info will answer your question. When you are satisfied, please give my answers a positive rating. You are judging my personal service only (not this website, the price, or your issue) and high ratings assure I remain in good standing.

Thanks, happy holidays, and good luck,
John
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Hi John, which key is the "option" button ??
It may alternatively be listed as the "Alt" key depending on your keyboard.

John
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Not working, but thanks for your service. J
Can you tell me where you are having a problem? What part is not working?

John
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Last part, and I've had enough now, so will leave it. Thank you J
Ok, that's fine.

If you wish to pick it back up you can reply at any time in the future for further assistance and I'll help you with the above procedure. It will normally only take about 5 mins.

John