iPad Man
iPad Man, Computer Hardware Engineer
Experience:  I'll help you with your iPad, you're in good hands.
63817454

i have a very peculiar Midi problem.A few months ago I

Customer Question

i have a very peculiar Midi problem.

A few months ago I had a crash on my 17inch 1.5 gighz PowerMac Laptop and replaced the hard drive. I also upgraded to Mac OSX.10.5.8 (I had before been on 10.4.11) and migrated my system across. The nature of the crash may still be relevant. (More below)

Much of the migration was successful, but my Apple Audio/Midi manager (2.2.2) is not working correctly.

Software that is Audio only i.e. Bias Peak, Soundtrack pro etc will launch but any software that involves a midi component will not launch or install. I have tried connecting various midi devices and the midi manger will not open. I have tried trashing all my midi drivers (Motu, emagic, roland) and reinstalling but to no avail.

The crash occurred when I left a Novation Keyboard plugged in (USB). In the original it warned that the usb cable was to be inserted only after powering up. However i seem to recall updating the firmware on the keyboard (some years back now, using a now defunct Mac G5) and that this made it class compliant.
At any rate when I launched the laptop with this keyboard still connected I suffered a serious crash ( wouldn't start).
I will gladly and gratefully pay for technical support that resolves this issue, but sadly cannot afford to if it does not.

Kind Regards

London
Category: Mac
Expert:  adamd-mod replied 2 years ago.

Hello there,

I wonder whether you're ok with continuing to wait for an answer. If you are, please let me know and I will continue my search. If not, feel free to let me know and I will cancel this question for you and refund your deposit.

Please note, I am just a moderator for this category, I can only try and find experts to help, I can't answer the question itself.

Adam

Customer: replied 2 years ago.

Adam

Thank you for getting touch. Yes please I would greatly appreciate it if you could find someone. If I can't fix this problem I can't do any recording as my desktop computer has died.

No rush - I've waited for a long time already before even contacting you, also I'll be without internet for the next 36 hours as I'm going to look after a very elderly relative, and getting online is near impossible in her area.

Expert:  adamd-mod replied 2 years ago.

Thanks for replying.

We will continue to look for a Professional to assist you.

If you decide on a refund, or wish to keep the credit for a future question, then of course we'd honour it.

Adam

Expert:  nate009 replied 2 years ago.

the best thing to do in this sort of situation is start again, it will be very difficult to determine the cause and fix for this type of error

i recommend backing up all important files and applications and re-installing a fresh copy of OSX on your powermac
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

Dear nate009

first of all apologies for taking the best part of a week to reply. As I said to Adam one of your moderators I was going to be unnable to get proper internet access for 36 hours as I was tending to an elderly relative in an out of the way location. She has no broadband. Unfortunately due to complications I had to stay down all week and eventually admit her to hospital last night, so I'm doing a bit of catching up here.

I don't want to sound ungracious, but must confess to feeling a little "underwhelmed" - by the"expert" nature of this reply. I have been a Mac user for 20 years and of course know that a clean install would solve most problems. The reason I got in touch was because I wanted to check with "Just Answer" that I hadn't missed some 'specialist' trick before climbing that particular mountain, and trying to install nearly 200 pieces of software (OK some pruning would have been done -some voluntary, others forced, because some of the manufacturers have stopped supporting non-intel machines).

I was hoping for a magic bullet from a Mac/Music expert that would save me 3-4 days work. Bearing in mind that your area of expertise seems to be more PC, I hope you understand that I would like to reopen this question and direct it more towards the Mac community.

Expert:  iPad Man replied 2 years ago.
Hello, my name is Rusty. The first thing I want you to do, is wipe out Midi Manager, click here, and install this version.

The problem with the keyboard and midi happening at the same time concerns me. That could be multiple problems. It could have fried the USB card, so high speed isn't possible. Please test the USB port, or use another USB port.

The other thing that could happen, is you could have suffered a hardware processing damage. We'll work toward that to narrow it down. Install the Midi Manager, and let me know what happens.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

Thank you Rusty

I'll get on it tomorrow.... I've just got in very late from visiting my Mum in hospital.

Best

Expert:  iPad Man replied 2 years ago.
Alright Richard, take your time. I'm in no rush. I am looking forward to hearing good results.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

Hi Rusty

Just before I download and install the Midi Manager you've provided the link for - I wanted to double check that this is ok with my operating system

-Leopard 10.5.8 (Non Intel). Am I looking to trash the Audio MIDI set up App (Version 2.2.2) and all 3rd party Midi drivers before installing this new one?

Apologies if I seem a little over cautious.

Expert:  iPad Man replied 2 years ago.
Yes, absolutely. If midi isn't working, we need to wipe it out, and start from scratch. There is nothing that cannot be downloaded and installed. Go ahead and trash the current midi.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

I think what I'm really worried about is trashing the Audio manager atthe same time as they seem to be one application.

Am I jusrt being too overcautious now?

Rich

Expert:  iPad Man replied 2 years ago.
They shouldn't be the same file... If we delete something we're not supposed to, we can get it back. Be sure to back up your data if necessary, and just trash the program. We can reload it.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

Hi Rusty

I've done as you suggested. The file will not open as it says "Classic environment is no longer supported".... I haven't used Classic since about 2001, in fact since OSX came in.

I'm on the last Non-Intel version (I think) of OsX - 10.5.8.

Are we both barking up the same tree here?

Attachments are only available to registered users.

Register Here

Cheers

Rich

Expert:  iPad Man replied 2 years ago.
This isn't the normal type of question... Are you able to open Cubase and open the midi device manager?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

No this Midi manager won't install. It suggests that it needs Classic environment, which I haven't used for over a decade.

In my original post I stated that

"Much of the migration was successful, but my Apple Audio/Midi manager (2.2.2) is not working correctly.

Software that is Audio only i.e. Bias Peak, Soundtrack pro etc will launch but any software that involves a midi component will not launch or install. I have tried connecting various midi devices and the midi manger will not open. I have tried trashing all my midi drivers (Motu, emagic, roland) and reinstalling but to no avail."

So no, nothing that uses Midi will launch. Logic, Cubase, Live, all my Native Instruments standalone etc will not launch, and neither will the Midi half of the Audio/Midi manager. I'm rather dumbfounded by this.

Surely the Midi manager I downloaded was for an earlier operating environment? Have I got that wrong?

Thank you for your help.

Expert:  iPad Man replied 2 years ago.
I understand the problem, but the solution has me scratching my head. Midi Manager is an old program, and I'm surprised you're even seeing the message. The drivers are what allow midi to talk to the computer. Did you reinstall the same drivers, or did you download the current ones for your devices?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

Well I downloaded the program but it wouldn't let me install it.

I don't think I've ever had Classic on this laptop, which I bought in about 2004 (I think).

Hope this helps.

Rich

P.s. I've trashed all drivers and the Audio/Midi manager, and haven't installed or reinstalled anything yet.

Expert:  iPad Man replied 2 years ago.
Ok, let's focus on one device. Can I have the model number of a keyboard you use for midi control?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

Midiman Oxygen 8. Original (Bought July 2002). I think one of the first USB keyboards.

Expert:  iPad Man replied 2 years ago.
Ok, and did you get your driver from the M-audio site? Please double check, and tell me if your computer recognizes that keyboard. Click here for the link.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

Hi - yes -downloaded and installed, and the keyboard powers up fine. But I have no programs that will launch - so there is no way of actually getting Midi in or even testing that it is coming in.

Would you like me to reintroduce the Audio/Midi manager at some point?

Customer: replied 2 years ago.

BTW the keyboard works.. (I use it with simple apps on my iphone) and the USB socket is fine- I use it with all kinds of external devices.

Do I not need to get the Audio/Midi Utility set-up working before downloading and installing any drivers?

Are there any hidden files that I have missed, that need to be trashed that would jeopordise what we are attempting here?

Expert:  iPad Man replied 2 years ago.
Like I said, Midi Manager is outdated, and not available anymore. There is another piece of software that gets your midi talking with your computer, it's called Patchbay. Install this, then install the drivers, and tell me how it works. Here is the link: http://notahat.com/midi_patchbay/
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

Hi Rusty

I have installed Patchbay - and downloaded a couple of drivers for the Oxygen 8 and a Korg NanoKey. Both seem to work with one of the few instruments I can open in standalone.; "Lounge Lizard". I have not yet had any luck launching my sequencers -Logic and Ableton Live.

Also I thought you might be interested to read this as it seems to pretty much describe my problem. http://jnote.org/29 The 175 grateful comments seem to suggest I am not alone in this problem.

Best Wishes

Richard.

Expert:  iPad Man replied 2 years ago.
That sounds exactly like your scenario, and the migration seems to be the problem for tons of people. Let's go ahead and follow the advice of that site. Note the directories that the author says that need to be empty. Tell me the results.