Daniel
Daniel, Mac Genius
Experience:  Apple certified on desktop and portable, help desk qualified. Have owned and used Macs since 1989.
19098653

I have a new Legria HF R406 camcorder. I recorded video onto

Customer Question

I have a new Legria HF R406 camcorder. I recorded video onto a memory card. I now want to save the video files from the card onto my MAC. I used the canon dvcm to download the instruction manual fine but it won't let me install the image browser EX. I click the icon but nothing happens. I've tried reinstalling it but nothing works. I am connected to the internet. Thanks for your help.
Category: Mac
Expert:  Daniel replied 3 years ago.

Hello, my name isXXXXX will do all I can to assist you in this.

Please tell me what version of OS X you are sing on the Mac.
I see you are in the UK, almost a world away from me.
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
Hi, it is version 10.6.6
Expert:  Daniel replied 3 years ago.
Ok Trisha, first a little maintenance is needed along with some updates.
First repair permissions as this PDF outlines. It will tell you why and how.

Repairing Permissions

Give it time, it may take a while.

When that finishes go to the Apple menu and select Software up dates, there are several for your Mac. This will bring it to 10.6.8 along with many updated drivers that you will need.

That camcorder uses AVCHD and mp4 format that iMovie will import directly without any additional software.

Apple - Support - Mac Apps - iMovie

I am assuming that you are not in the US because that camcorder uses PAL as opposed to NTSC, just a different way to play video.

It is listed as being supported in iMovie.

iMovie is now at 10.0.2 and will update automatically if it is now in your applications folder when you run software update.

If not then it is $15.00 in the App store.

Does that help? It may not be the final answer but it should be enough to get you started, let me know please.

Customer: replied 3 years ago.
Thanks for this info. I am going to do what you suggest and get back to you with result.
Expert:  Daniel replied 3 years ago.
Please do Trisha, I use iMovie for editing, it does the job, is fairly easy to learn and gives good results.

Looking forward to hearing from you.

Customer: replied 3 years ago.
Thanks for your help. It all works fine now. Please can you help me with another proble. I have two memory cards. I imported the video onto my Mac and then tried to delete the files from the memory card so i can continue re-usin the memory cards to put new videos on but the memory card says it is still full of data and has no room to video more. Please advise me how I should delete the files once I've imported them onto iMovie.
Expert:  Daniel replied 3 years ago.
Trsha, I do not work for free but yes, I can help with that.

Assuming that you selected said items on the card and moved them to the trash, did you then empty the trash?
If not then the files are still there.
Something to know: Trashing or deleting a file does not remove it from the disk or drive, it simply erases the directory concerning that file in effect telling the drive that that space is now availabe.

Follow that?

Usually in iMovie it will ask if you wish to deletethe files after importing. That is one way.
If you open the card as an external hard drive you can drag those files to the trash (empty the trash in the Apple menu drop down menu).

Or you can delete them on the camera.

Matters not which, all have the same result.

That help?
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
Yes thanks
Expert:  Daniel replied 3 years ago.
Trisha, you know where to find me if you have any more questions.
Glad I could be of assistance.