Richard, Mac Genius
Experience:  Apple Computers Specialist
32989067

I have an I Pad 1 and cannot now delete Apps by pressing on

Customer Question

I have an I Pad 1 and cannot now delete Apps by pressing on them to set them off shaking to activate their delete function.

We have tried to install upgrades for some Apps but get a message that there is insufficient memory available.

Hence we want to delete some Apps

Category: Mac
Expert:  Richard replied 2 years ago.
Thank you for your question, my name is Richard.

I would like you please to do this as the first step.

Hold the power and home button on the iPad for about 10 seconds, until you see the Apple Logo, then release the buttons.

Let the iPad restart and then try to delete an App.

Let me know the results please

Customer: replied 2 years ago.

I have rebooted but the Apps will not jiggle

Expert:  Richard replied 2 years ago.

Go to Settings > General > Reset > Reset All Settings

Press this (it will not touch your data) then try to delete an App Ted.

Let me know the results please

Customer: replied 2 years ago.

I am in Settings but I cannot find Reset >

Expert:  Richard replied 2 years ago.
You missed a step Ted

It is Settings, GENERAL, Reset, Reset all settings.

You missed General
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

Sorry, I am in Settings > General but cannot see Reset

Expert:  Richard replied 2 years ago.
It is there at the bottom Ted.

Like in this picture

http://www.myw0.com/wp-content/uploads/2011/03/image1.png

Let me know if you have any difficulties please
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

I do not have the Reset Box on my screen

Expert:  Richard replied 2 years ago.
ok, it appears you have restrictions on your iPad.

Go to Settings, General and turn Restrictions off and then tell me if it appears please.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

Sorry

I cannot see the tab Restrictions

Expert:  Richard replied 2 years ago.
ok, someone has restricted the iPad Ted, this is why you cannot delete apps or do any of my instructions.

Have you recently made a backup of the iPad?

As we will need to reset it.

Customer: replied 2 years ago.

No I have not Backed UP

How can I do that please?

Expert:  Richard replied 2 years ago.
ok, do you have iTunes installed on your computer Ted?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

Yes we do

Expert:  Richard replied 2 years ago.
ok, connect the iPad to the computer with the cable that came with the iPad.

Choose File > Devices > Back up.

Once the backup has completed, you need to reset the iPad completely to remove the restrictions.

To do this, once the backup is complegted

Connect the iPad to the computer and open itunes

Hold the power and home button down until you see

"iTunes has detected an iPad in recovery mode..."

Click Restore iPad, let this complete

Once it has, the iPad is returned to new, the restrictions removed and you can again uninstall apps when needed.

Let me know the results please

Customer: replied 2 years ago.

Problem continues... in I Tunes

File > devices is greyed out

I have had a memory warning and have bought 5GB memory and now have Total Storage 15.oGB and 12.7 GB available.

we usually back up to the I MAX computer , but should I Back up to the I Cloud by switching this ON on the I Pad?

Expert:  Richard replied 2 years ago.
ok, you will have to backup to the iCloud, as you wont be able to backup any other way.

Do the backup, then the reset and Let me know the results please
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

I have backed up to the I Cloud and rebooted the I Pad but this has not reinstated the RESET option

Expert:  Richard replied 2 years ago.
It will not, Ted, you need to do ALL the instructions I gave, which included the reset of the iPad.

I will repeat the instructions you still need to do Ted.

Click Restore iPad, let this complete

Let me know the results please

Customer: replied 2 years ago.

I have Backed Up and Restored the I Pad except for Photos which did not reappear.

There is no Reset option showing

I still cannot Uninstall Apps

Expert:  Richard replied 2 years ago.

It is the internal memory that has faulted in the iPad. We have now confirmed this

A corrupted firmware can cause this. But we have ruled this out by reinstalling it. The fact that you are missing any Reset functionality, and that we cannot uninstall apps, confirms this as the problem.

It is also why the issue of memory was being reported.

I am really sorry about this and you are going to have to return the iPad to have it replaced. It will be covered by the warranty if this has not expired, and the replacement will be done at no cost to you.

I am really sorry about this, and if you have problems, or would like any additional information or assistance, please do not hesitate to let me know.

And if you can take a second to rate my service, that would be greatly appreciated.