Michelle
Michelle, Mac Technician
Experience:  Apple Computers and Mobile support with 12 years of exp.
70409726

I went back to factory setting I am ask for the old password

I went back to factory
setting I am ask for the old password XXXXX I do'not remember it,what can I do.
Category: Mac
Expert:  Michelle replied 3 years ago.

Michelle :

Hi, and welcome! My name is XXXXX XXXXX I am excited to get started with you.

So I can better assist you, I will need additional information. What password XXXXX you referring to. Your apple ID?

Customer:

apple id

Michelle :

Thank you for the additional information. To reset your apple ID, Click on this link. It will open in a new browser window so our chat will not be lost

https://iforgot.apple.com/password/verify/appleid

Michelle :

When you are at the screen, enter your apple ID which is your email address and then press next and follow the onscreen instructions

Customer:

I enter the id

Michelle :

Did you press the blue next button?

Customer:

yes

Michelle :

You will then need to verify your birthday. Have you done that?

Customer:

no

Michelle :

Enter your birthday and choose next

Customer:

I did but coming back saying it is wrong

Michelle :

Did you initially set up your apple ID or did someone else set it up for you?

Customer:

no I buy it from a friend from work before retired he no longer lived in London

Michelle :

Okay in that case, will you be open to creating your own apple ID? You can use your own email

Customer:

yes

Michelle :

Okay. Click on this link and choose Create an Apple ID. At the bottom right corner
https://appleid.apple.com/cgi-bin/WebObjects/MyAppleId.woa/

Michelle :

Just checking in to see how you are doing setting up your Apple ID

Michelle :

Are you still there?

Customer:

I created a new id and password XXXXX it still do not activate the ipad

Michelle :

Are you getting an error message?

Michelle :

Did you receive an email from Apple to activate your apple ID?

Customer:

yes I did

Michelle :

Click on the back button in the upper left corner. Then choose next, Enter your apple ID and password XXXXX then choose next

Michelle :

If it still does not take your Apple ID, choose Skip this step

Michelle :

Do you see an option to switch apple ID or sign out?

Customer:

no

Michelle :

In that case, we will need to restore your iPad via iTunes and set it up as a new iPad. Connect your iPad to your computer and open iTunes

Michelle :

When you went back to factory settings the first time, did you do so via iTunes?

Customer:

no

Michelle :

Okay well we will need to use itunes. Can you connect your iPad to your computer?

Customer:

I have

Michelle :

Now Open itunes if it is not open already. Choose your iPad in the left column under devices

Michelle :

Have you located your iPad in itunes?

Customer:

I have open iTunes the column does not show

Michelle :

What about if you look in the upper right corner. Do you see devices?

Michelle :

If not, click on View in the top menu bar and choose Show sidebar

Customer:

ok what next

Michelle :

Do you see the restore button?

Michelle :

Press the restore button and allow your iPad 15 mins to restore

Customer:

Sorry

Customer:

I tried to connect it to my computer and it seems to say the same thing

Michelle :

Did the restore process go through?

Customer:

I do not see a restore button anywhere

Customer:

no

Customer:

It is telling me to enter my icloud address, but the one I am entering is not working

Michelle :

You will need to restore it first via iTunes

Customer:

even the new one is not being recognised

Michelle :

Follow these instructions

Customer:

ok

Michelle :

First make sure your iPad is still connected to itunes. Next, Press and hold both the sleep and home button at the same time until the connect to itunes logo appears. Continue to hold when you see the apple logo. The sleep button is located at the upper right corner and the home button is the round button on the bottom front bezel of your iPad

Full Size Image

Customer:

ok done that

Michelle :

Is there a connect to itunes logo appearing on your iPad?

Customer:

no

Customer:

it says hello

Michelle :

Then you did not hold down both keys long enough. Press and hold both buttons again but continue to hold both buttons until a connect to itunes logo appears

Customer:

I did exactly what you said

Michelle :

Did you let go of the buttons when the apple logo appeared?

Customer:

yes

Customer:

it then went to the set up bit

Customer:

putting in you language and the rest

Customer:

it is at the activation bit now

Michelle :

You may have missed it in the instructions earlier, but I stated to continue to hold both buttons when you see the apple logo

Customer:

I did what you said

Customer:

I know how to do all that

Customer:

but once it gets to the activation bit, this is were we have the problem because I don't know what id I put in

Michelle :

Okay lets take a step back. You will continue to have this problem until you restore your device. In order to to that, we need to get your iPad into recovery mode. You mentioned that you let go of the sleep and home button when you saw the apple logo. This only resets it. Again, press and hold the sleep and home button for 45 secs or until you see the connect to itunes logo. Do not let go until you see the itunes logo

Customer:

ok

Customer:

the logo has appeared

Michelle :

Great! Now in itunes on your computer, it should say that your iPad is in recovery mode

Customer:

it says to restore and update ipad

Michelle :

Choose restore and update

Customer:

ok

Customer:

that's done

Michelle :

The restore process takes about 20-30 mins. Right now it should be downloading the update

Customer:

yes itis

Michelle :

Okay

Customer:

the restore process is finish what next.

Michelle :

That was quick. Did an apple logo with a progress bar underneath ever appear

Michelle :

If it is done, the Hello should appear again

Customer:

yea

Michelle :

Okay now go through the process again and enter your new apple ID

Customer:

now we are back to activating it

Customer:

the new id is not working

Customer:

it needs the one it was set up with

Michelle :

Im sorry, Apple actually introduced this feature purposefully to protect against lost and stolen devices. it looks like you will actually need the old password. If you did not write it down or you no longer have contact with the owner, you will need to take it to the apple store to get it replaced if the device is still under warranty

Michelle :

You do have his email, can you sent him an email requesting his password?

Customer:

no I do not have a email for him.

Michelle :

The email that you entered when you attempted to reset the password XXXXX XXXXX email address.. No?

Customer:

no

Michelle :

Have you ever downloaded apps to songs or anything using that apple ID?

Michelle :

in the past?

Customer:

no not from the ipad.

Michelle :

Im sorry, but for security reasons there is no work around this issue without having the original password. You will need to either mail it to Applecare or visit your local apple store

Customer:

thank you for your help.

Michelle :

You are very welcome. Best of luck to you

Customer:

thank

Michelle :

Bye now

Michelle, Mac Technician
Experience: Apple Computers and Mobile support with 12 years of exp.