Ashik
Ashik, Mac Technician
Experience:  Bachelor of Computer Application (BCA), 9+ Years of Experience in troubleshooting Macs, iPhone, iPad, iPod etc
16433418

iphone 4s wont respond, only to announce screen lock on, how

Customer Question

iphone 4s wont respond, only to announce screen lock on, how do you get it off.
Category: Mac
Expert:  Ashik replied 3 years ago.
Hi and Welcome. My Name is XXXXX XXXXX I look forward to assisting you today with your question.

Did you mean your iPhone is talking to you when you touch the screen ?
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Yes, it says screen lock, wont slide to unlock.

Expert:  Ashik replied 3 years ago.
The Voice Over funtion of your iPhone is turned ON. Since Voice Over is turned on, you have to double tap instead of single tap. To scroll, double tap and scroll (or double tap and scroll with two/three fingers)

So enter the passcode by double taping the numbers if any. To slide to unlock, double tap and slide.

Go to Settings > General > Accessibility. Turn off Voice Over from there.

Or press and hold down Power button and the Home button at the same time until your iPhone shows Apple logo. When you see the Apple logo, release the buttons.

Please let me know if that didn't work, so we can continue troubleshooting.

Best Regards,
Ashik
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

After double tapping and sliding to unlock, nothing happened, only the voice saying screen lock on.

Expert:  Ashik replied 3 years ago.
You have to quickly double tap and slide. Or just double tap on the slider and see if it unlocks or not. Also, Try this. Press and hold down Power button and the Home button at the same time until your iPhone shows Apple logo. When you see the Apple logo, release the buttons.

If that didn't work, then there is another way to turn it off. Let me know if the above didn't work.
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Got into settings by double clicking, screen wouldn't scroll down to General, in Notifications, clicking settings on the top left corner but it wont go back to the main Settings page.

Expert:  Ashik replied 3 years ago.
Scroll with three fingers. Don't double tap, just try scrolling with three fingers.
Expert:  Ashik replied 3 years ago.
James, there are another ways to turn it off. Triple click the home button to turn it off.

Or on your computer, download and install latest iTunes application from here : http://www.apple.com/in/itunes/download/

Open iTunes and connect your iPhone to your computer. In iTunes, select your iPhone in the top right. From the Summary pane, click Configure Universal Access in the Options section at the bottom. Select the Voice Over and turn if off.
Expert:  Ashik replied 3 years ago.
James, do you still have trouble to turn it off ?

If you are in Settings, scroll using three fingers. Then tap General and double tap General. Scroll down to Accessibility using three fingers. Then tap Accessibility and double tap Accessibility. Then double tap Voice Over slider to turn it off.
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Managed to get the iphone working as normal again, many thanks for your help.

Expert:  Ashik replied 3 years ago.
I'm glad to hear that...