Richard, Mac Genius
Experience:  Apple Computers Specialist
32989067

My iPad mini is new but as there were no instructions I had

Customer Question

My iPad mini is new but as there were no instructions I had no idea how to get started. I kept being asked for Passcode, password, apple ID so I kept typing in passwords to no avail and now my iPad is disabled. HELP Gillian XXXXXX

Category: Mac
Expert:  Richard replied 2 years ago.
Thank you for your question, my name is XXXXX XXXXX I look forward to assisting you.

Please note, click on Reply to Expert to reply to me, a rating is only needed when we are finished.

This is no problem, I will work with you to get the iPad setup.

First we need to start again, and we need a computer for this.

Do you have a computer available?

Customer: replied 2 years ago.

YES

Expert:  Richard replied 2 years ago.
Great, now we are going to do this step by step, so work with me please.

First step, install iTunes on your computer. Its free and you download it from here.

https://www.apple.com/itunes/download/

Once its installed, open it and tell me when you have please.

Customer: replied 2 years ago.

The iTunes download is complete

Expert:  Richard replied 2 years ago.
ok, Make sure to install and open it Gillian.

Is it now running, and have you opened it?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

I pressed run at the bottom of the screen. I should explain I am 75 and very dim at this sort of thing. Do I have to go back to i Tunes or have I done enough?

Expert:  Richard replied 2 years ago.
You need to install iTunes Gillian.

So press Run and it will take you through the installation.

Do you see this?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

I have installed iTunes so now what do I do and how does i Tunes help me to start my iPad?

Expert:  Richard replied 2 years ago.
Great, now the next step Gillian so we can get your iPad back to a working state.

Connect the iPAd to the computer via the data cable that came with it and open itunes

Hold the power and home button down until you see

"iTunes has detected an iPad in recovery mode..."

Click Restore iPad, let this complete

When it has, it will be returned to new, at this point, disconnect the iPad from the compute and tell me exactly what you see on the screen please.

Customer: replied 2 years ago.

I have connected the iPad to the computerwith the cable and I pressed itunes but how do I open it?

Expert:  Richard replied 2 years ago.
You need to do the instructions I gave Gillian.

Can you please follow them carefully?

I will repeat them

Click Restore iPad, let this complete

Customer: replied 2 years ago.

I am back to square one

This is the message.; ;''', itunes could not connect to iPad,Gillian's iPad because it is locked with PASSCODE. You must enter your PASSCODE on the iPad before it can be used with iTunes'

I have no idea what a PASSCODE is which is why I contacted you in the first place!

Expert:  Richard replied 2 years ago.
You are not doing the instructions I have been telling you

Gillian, please follow them carefully.

Customer: replied 2 years ago.

At last I have restore iPad which I clicked. On the Itunes screen it said 'Downloading 1 item IPad software update 4 hours remaining'

Customer: replied 2 years ago.

Expert:  Richard replied 2 years ago.
Thanks,

Let this complete Gillian, and when it has, you can then setup the iPad again.

Please pay attention to all the passwords you set, as you will need these, so write these down for safe keeping.

Let me know the results please

Customer: replied 2 years ago.

This is complete but my iPad still says it is disabled so I cannot set up the iPad yet. Any way I do not know how to set it up.

Expert:  Richard replied 2 years ago.
How far did you get with my instructions?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

I think I did everything you said

Just answer sent me a new password XXXXX create but I could not change it as I do not know the old one. I am old and forgetful

Is password XXXXX same as passcode ?

Where are you based?

Customer: replied 2 years ago.

I think I did what you said but my iPad is still disabled

Expert:  Richard replied 2 years ago.

No the password XXXXX XXXXX the same as from this website.

Did you reset the iPad? Exactly what screen are you now on?

Customer: replied 2 years ago.

Hi Richie

The message on my iPad screen

'IPad disabled connect to iTunes'

so I have and on the iPod screen there is a picture of 2 quavers and underneath iTunes.

So the screen I am on is your reply and iTunes

Expert:  Richard replied 2 years ago.
ok, connect the iPad to the computer and open iTunes

What do you then see?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

Hi richie

The same message that I wrote on 21 Feb 12 .08 EST

'iTunes could not connect to Gillian's iPad because it is locked with a passcode. You must enter your passcode on the iPad before it can be used with iTunes'

I cannot do this because the iPad is now disabled and I do not know the Passcode any way

Expert:  Richard replied 2 years ago.
Can I log on and look please on the connected computer?

It is easier to work with you on this. You can see and control everything I do

Can you please click on my link below.

http://tinyurl.com/9439e

This will download a program to your computer.

Run this program by double clicking it.

You will then see a Code and Password.

Please send that to me in your next message.

Customer: replied 2 years ago.

ID XXXXXXXXX /p>

Password 8303

Expert:  Richard replied 2 years ago.
sorry it blocked the code, can you repeat it with spaces.

eg: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9

Customer: replied 2 years ago.

9 0 2 7 7 9 8 9 8

Expert:  Richard replied 2 years ago.
connected