Daniel
Daniel, Mac Genius
Experience:  Apple certified on desktop and portable, help desk qualified. Have owned and used Macs since 1989.
19098653

My customer is on Mavericks and with Mac Mail closed and all

Customer Question

My customer is on Mavericks and with Mac Mail closed and all accounts offline, the remote mail server is receiving requests to collect mail from the Mac Book Pro (IP's match). The problem is that the requests are using old passwords and after 3 attempts the mail server puts an auto-ban on the account for 1 hour. If they disconnect the Mac from the internet, the mail account does not get a auto-ban, so it is definitly coming from this machine. They do not even know how to run a script and are very low level users, so it is highly unlikely that they have been developing anything, they use the Mac for internet, mail and general office applications only. The mail logs show a connection as EHLO prems-mbp.home if that gives a clue. This only came to light when he asked for the mail passwords to be reset when a member of staff left. So it looks like this rogue script is using the old credentials.
Category: Mac
Expert:  Daniel replied 2 years ago.

Daniel :

Hello, my name is Dan. I will do my best to help you, the only stupid question is the unasked one.

JACUSTOMER-fz1yatfh- :

Hello Dan, Andy here

Daniel :

Hello Andy.
I do not have enough info to really give an answer yet.
You say the user of this Mac is no longer part of the group. WHat did this group do? I mean is there some reason to think that a script was set in place to cause this?

Daniel :

It could be as simple as the Keychain needing repair or it could be an Applescript written to cause problems.

JACUSTOMER-fz1yatfh- :

A member of his team left, for security he asked for all email passwords to be changed, he changed his Account settings to the new ones and when running Mac Mail everything is working correctly except with Mac Mail closed down his Macbook Pro has been sending out a request for email using the wrong credentials so my assumptions is that their is a rougue process or script that is running. This rogue process/script is running every 5 minutes or so, so he is getting a mail server ban every 5 minutes.

Daniel :

Ok, then I would suggest creating a whole new user account and deleting this account. Chances are that it is a user specific issue.

Daniel :

I can help with that.

JACUSTOMER-fz1yatfh- :

I assume that he can simply drag over all of his user files to his new account home directory but he will have to re-enter all of his Mail accounts and rules?

Daniel :

No, a new account is just that, a new account. It will have nothing of the old and drag/drop does not apply.
However, that does not mean we cannot try a test account and see if the issue clears up, it will help pinpoint the problem.

New test account
T
hat is a PDF explaining how to do it, there may be some differences from what it says and what you see.
This is Mavericks specific.
OS X Mavericks: New user or group setup
U
se Test as the subject all through. Do not delete the old account.

JACUSTOMER-fz1yatfh- :

Ok, will send him the links and get him to create a test account and as you say lets see if it goes away.

Daniel :

Sounds good, The other thing to try is repairing the Keychain, this is where all passwords are stored.
I found this and it may apply.
How to Fix OS X Keychain Error (“Local Items”)

Daniel :

Let me know please, I will be away for a while but will be back.

JACUSTOMER-fz1yatfh- :

Ok, thanks Daniel, will get back later

Daniel :