Josh
Josh, Mac Support
Experience:  Expert for over 10 years
50836188

my trash box wont except mail when dumped why

Category: Mac
Expert:  Martin replied 3 years ago.
Hello, welcome to JustAnswer my name is XXXXX XXXXX I'm one of the experts who will be assisting you today.

Could you please rephrase your question, is your email not being deleted when you want it to or are you having another problem?

Are you using the Mail application?

Regards,
Martin
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

yes to the first not deleting

and yes two the secound

Expert:  Martin replied 3 years ago.
Thank you William,

What email service are you using, Gmail, Yahoo, AOL, something else?

If you're not sure, just type out the bit after the @ symbol on your email address, not the whole thing.

Customer: replied 3 years ago.

you are as bad as me just say you dont know &stop wasting my time

Expert:  Martin replied 3 years ago.
William,

I am going to opt out of this question now, you will be contacted by another expert if they think they can help you.

Have a lovely day.

Regards,
Martin
Expert:  Pete replied 3 years ago.
Hi William,

To assist you further with this question, we will need to know what email service are you using? (e.g. Gmail, Yahoo, AOL)
If you don't know, then just let us know the second part of the email address.
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

@gofast.ukco.

Expert:  Josh replied 3 years ago.
Hi! My name is XXXXX XXXXX I will be assisting you. Let's get started!

Just to confirm - When deleting the emails in Mac Mail, the emails go to the Junk folder from the Trash folder?
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

no have do this by hand then delete the lot

Expert:  Josh replied 3 years ago.
I am not sure what you mean by your last comment.

Please describe what you do and what happens again
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

i press trash button but it will not.it tell me can not do

Expert:  Josh replied 3 years ago.
Can you give me the EXACT message that you receive? It is important for helping you.
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

this message can not be deleted.trash will not except

Expert:  Josh replied 3 years ago.

Quit Mail

Back up all data. That means youknowyou can restore the Mail database, no matter what happens.

Copy this line below on this page to select it:

~/Library/Mail/V2/MailData

Copy the selected text to the Clipboard by pressing the key combinationcommand-C. In the Finder, select

GoGo to Folder

from the menu bar. Paste into the box that opens (command-V), then pressreturn.

A folder window will open. Inside it there should be files with names as follows:

• Envelope Index
  • ExternalUpdates.storedata

Move those files to the Desktop, leaving the window open. Other files in the folder may have longer names that begin as above. Move those files, if any, to the Trash.

Log out and log back in. Relaunch Mail. It should prompt you to re-import your messages. You may get a warning that the index is damaged and that Mail has to quit. ClickOK.

Test. If Mail now works as expected, you can delete the files you moved to the Desktop. Otherwise, post your results.

Josh, Mac Support
Experience: Expert for over 10 years