Engineer Hamid
Engineer Hamid, Computer Enthusiast
Experience:  BSc Computer Science, MTA, A+, MCP, MCTS, HP ExperOne.
76930927

my Ipad 2 froze during an update, for approx. 4hrs. So I stupidly

Customer Question

my Ipad 2 froze during an update, for approx. 4hrs. So I stupidly disconnected it from the PC. Now I can't access my iPad. A message 'activate iPad' keeps appearing, so I put in my apple ID and password XXXXX no avail. Can you help?
Category: Mac
Expert:  Engineer Hamid replied 2 years ago.

Engineer Hamid :

Hello , my name isXXXXX have 13 years of hands-on repair with computers. I will be happy to help you and run through some steps with you.

Do you have the iPad with you at the moment?

JACUSTOMER-vysplu3z- :

yes

Engineer Hamid :

Ok, I see that you have tried to reset it a few times. Have you tried resetting it to DFU mode?
DFU mode is when you hold down the Power button and the Home button at the same time. After 10 seconds passed, release the Power button but continue to hold the Home button for another 3-5 seconds.

If not, please let me also know and we can try this out too. If you have tried this, what error code are you getting?

JACUSTOMER-vysplu3z- :

Hi . No I have not tried that.

Engineer Hamid :

No problems, Most of time alot of problems are eliminated from the iPad when the DFU mode is done, the steps are as follows:

1. Plug the iPad into your computer

2. Launch iTunes

3. Hold down the Power button and the Home button at the same time

4. Keep holding both of these buttons for 10 seconds

5. After 10 seconds pass, release the Power button but continue to hold the Home button for another 3-5 seconds

6. When in DFU mode, your iPadscreen will stay completely black. If you see an Apple logo or otherwise you did not enter DFU mode so please then repeat the process.

7. On the iTunes window after a minute or so, it will ask you to restore the firmware for the iPad select yes and continue.

Engineer Hamid :

If you can give that one a try this should solve the problem which you have, I will remain online here if you need any help with the steps do feel free to message me .

Customer: replied 2 years ago.

Hi there. the message comes up ipad restored settings but then goes back to 'Activate ipad

Hi Thank you for your reply. Can you please tell me which iOS are you using on the iPad? Is it the latest one iOS 7?

Customer: replied 2 years ago.

yes

Right ok, Is the iPad connected to the wi-fi where you are at the moment?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

Yes it is now

Right, As the iPad has been formatted would you mind please resetting your password again but on this link
https://iforgot.apple.com/password/verify/appleid
Simply enter your Apple ID and then an email will be sent to your registered email to reset the password.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

I have changed the password but it still will not allow me access to the ipad

Thank you for your reply.
Can you please let me know what error code you are receiving or the exact error message.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

Incorrect Apple ID

then My apple ID cannot be used to unlock this ipad

Are you able to log in to your apple ID to the Apple website on your PC?
Please try logging in on here :
https://appleid.apple.com/cgi-bin/WebObjects/MyAppleId.woa/wa/directToSignIn?localang=en_US
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

Yes that's no problem, I can get into my iTunes account or manage apple ID

Ok,
Is the option 'skip this step to continue' available on the screen which you are on at the moment?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

no

I am trying to picture which screen you are on at the moment.
Was the reset successful? but on the main homepage it is asking for the Apple ID details? I.e can you see your apps such as Safari.
Or is it the black screen on the start up when you are setting up the iphone.
If possible can you please give me further details on the screen which is showing. I understand that it is Incorrect Apple ID, but this appears on many different screens.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

initially the screen comes up with 'hello' in different languages at the bottom of the screen slide to set up.

The ipad screen Has Activate ipad

This ipad is currently linked to an Apple ID (d..@b...) sign in with the apple ID that was used to set up this Ipad

Then it asks for my apple ID and Password

Ok I think I understand which screen you are on.
Do you have the option on previous screen whereby it asks you to set up as new iPad?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

I guess its asking me to do that, the first screen has a choice of languages for me to choose from,

then select your country or region,

then choose a Wi-Fi network,

then the activate ipad

Ok,
Once you select your wi-fi please select 'Set up from new'
This shouldn't necessarily require the apple login details.
Let me know what happens
Hamid
Any luck with this problem?
Please let me know and I can further assist.