Richard, Mac Genius
Experience:  Apple Computers Specialist
32989067

Since I installed Mavericks on my mac it runs like a dog. All

Customer Question

Since I installed Mavericks on my mac it runs like a dog. All I ever see is the little coloured wheel and it takes for ever to do anything, particularly online.
Category: Mac
Expert:  Richard replied 3 years ago.
Thank you for your question, my name is Richard and I look forward to assisting you.

Please note, click on Reply to Expert to reply to me, a rating is only needed when we are finished.

How long ago did you install it? And was it a clean install?

Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Last year and if by clean do you mean were there any problems, no there weren't. It was done online as an update.

Expert:  Richard replied 3 years ago.
ok, by Clean I mean you reinstalled the Mac and then did the update.

There are two known issues with Maverick, the first is it tends to run slow for a few days after the install, as it re-indexes ect, but if you did it last year, this is not the issue.

The second is there are a wealth of problems updating it on an existing system. The only way to get around that is to do a clean install. This means reinstalling the Mac (You would need to backup your files first, programs you need to reinstall) and then installing the update before installing any of your programs, which allows Maverick to run properly.

This is what you will need to do.

To do this, first back up your data off the computer

Then run off the computer ans hold down Command-R and turn it on until you get to the Recovery. You then choose erase your hard drive and reinstall a fresh copy of OS X,

Once this s done, it is then a clean install. You then install the Maverick update and it will then run at the correct speed.

But you need to do this to resolve the situation you are in.

If you would like any additional information or assistance, please do not hesitate to let me know.

And if you can take a second to rate my service, that would be greatly appreciated.

Customer: replied 3 years ago.

All this tells me is that I was a fool to install it in the first place! If this is the standard of acceptable service from Apple they should be ashamed of themselves as Mavericks is hardly a product of merchantable quality.

If it shouldn't be installed as an update it shouldn't be offered as one.

I am not in a position to do as you suggest and don't view it as particularly helpful nor value for money.

Expert:  Richard replied 3 years ago.
ok Colin,

I agree they could have done a better job of developing it, but I am not Apple, and have no influence over this.

I have accurately told you the problem and how to resolve this. If you are not willing to pay for this service, there is nothing I can do about it. I just wished you had of said you were not going to pay for your answer, before I's put in the time to explain it to you as you effectively now just have a free answer from me...