Ashik
Ashik, Mac Technician
Experience:  Bachelor of Computer Application (BCA), 9+ Years of Experience in troubleshooting Macs, iPhone, iPad, iPod etc
16433418

My ipad has been out of my posesion for 6 months. Now I have

Customer Question

My ipad has been out of my posesion for 6 months. Now I have it back it is disabled. how can I reset it?
Category: Mac
Expert:  Ashik replied 3 years ago.
Hi and Welcome. My Name is XXXXX XXXXX I look forward to assisting you today with your question.

It is disabled because someone had entered incorrect passcode for number of times. It will be disabled completely if incorrent passcode is entered for multiple time.

Unfortunately your only option is to force-restore your iPad to factory settings through iTunes by putting it to DFU (Device Firmware Upgrade) model, which will erase everything from it. This is how Apple designed it to protect the information of their users. There is no other way to enable it again.

If you've backed up your iPad to iTunes on your computer or iCloud, then you can restore all your data back after restoring your iPad from iTunes/iCloud. You can also redownload all your past purchases for free using the same account.

Follow the steps below to restore your iPad by putting it to DFU Mode.

First download and install latest iTunes on your computer from here : https://www.apple.com/downloads/

• Connect the iPad to your computer with the USB Cable.
  • Open iTunes application on your computer
  • On your iPad press and hold the Home button and the Power button at the same time.
  • After EXACTLY 8 seconds release the Power button. Continue holding the home button until your iTunes shows a message telling you that it has detected an iPad in recovery mode.
  • Click OK or Restore

Note : Put it to DFU Mode while connected to computer and also in DFU Mode your iPad will remain blank. Timing is critical when you put it to DFU Mode. So keep trying until it goes to DFU Mode

Please let me know if that didn't work, so we can continue troubleshooting.

Best Regards,
Ashik
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
Thank you for your advice, it was very helpful. The instructions wer easy to follow and I now have my iPad back. Unfortunately I did not have iCloud at the time so have lost all my data.

John.
Expert:  Ashik replied 3 years ago.
Hi John, I'm very sorry that you lost your files. There were no other options than restoring it. You should setup iCloud and do regular backups from now on.

Best Regards,
Ashik