Richard, Mac Genius
Experience:  Apple Computers Specialist
32989067

My QuarkXPress 8.1.6.0r is not responding or opening beyond

My QuarkXPress 8.1.6.0r is not responding or opening beyond the logo pic. I have tried uninstalling and re-installing - no go. This program was purchase 14.2.2011 and has worked okay until now.
Category: Mac
Expert:  Richard replied 2 years ago.
Thank you for your question, my name is XXXXX XXXXX I look forward to assisting you.

Please note, click on Reply to Expert to reply to me, a rating is only needed when we are finished.

To clarify, this is running on a Mac computer or Windows 7?

Customer: replied 2 years ago.

It's running on Windows 7 on a PC

Expert:  Richard replied 2 years ago.
Thanks Alan

Click Start, type in MSCONFIG and press enter.

Click on the Startup Tab and click Disable All.

Click on the Services Tab and click "Hide All Microsoft Services"

Then click Disable All

Click ok, restart the computer and let me know if Quarkxpress now opens please.

Customer: replied 2 years ago.

I am not computer savvy! The start button just brings up a list of programmes etc. Where do I type in MSCONFIG?

Expert:  Richard replied 2 years ago.
In the search bar there Alan.

When you click start, your see the search, so you enter it there and press enter please.

It is the only place you can type into.

Let me know the results please

Customer: replied 2 years ago.

It's not showing MSCONFIG in the box!!

Expert:  Richard replied 2 years ago.
You type it in Alan.

Click start, type in

MSCONFIG

press enter.

Customer: replied 2 years ago.

There will be a short delay. I forgot I had uninstalled Quark again, -am loading it in at present.

Expert:  Richard replied 2 years ago.
No problem, and thank you
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

Sorry for the delay - I have reinstalled and gone through the process you gave me - Quark still not responding.

Expert:  Richard replied 2 years ago.
ok, to be sure, if you click Start, type in

MSCONFIG

Press enter, are the items under Startup and Services still unchecked?

Customer: replied 2 years ago.

The 'Hide all Microsoft Services was unchecked. I have disabled. It is asking for a reboot of the computer.

Expert:  Richard replied 2 years ago.
ok, restart and tell me if Quark now starts please Alan.

Customer: replied 2 years ago.

I have given it some time, but still not responding.

Expert:  Richard replied 2 years ago.

We need to rule out registry and hard disk corruption as the cause of this.

Do the following please

Download CC Cleaner (free) from here

CC Cleaner

(Click Download Latest Version on the top right)

Run it and let it scan and repair your registry.

Once done, restart the computer

Than

Click Start, All Programs, Accessories, right click on Command Prompt and select Run As Administrator.

A black window will open.

Type in it

sfc /scannow

press enter and when it has completed, type in

chkdsk /r

Press enter.

It will give a message "the type of the file system is NTFS cannot lock current drive.
chkdsk cannot run because the volume is in use by another process. Would you like to schedule this volume to be checked the next time the system restarts y/n" Say Y, press enter and restart the computer.

Then tell me if it will now start please.

Customer: replied 2 years ago.

Sorry for delay - food stopped play. I have carried out the above instructions - Quark still not responding.

Expert:  Richard replied 2 years ago.
No problem

Click Start, Computer

Navigate to My Computer

C Drive //Documents and Settings//your User name//Application Data//Quark//QuarkXPress 8

Rename the folder named QuarkXPress 8 to "old QuarkXPress 8" at the above location

Navigate to XXXXX / Windows // System 32 // FNTCACHES.dat

Delete the file named FNTCACHES.dat at the above location and restart the machine

Then try to open Quark

Let me know the results please

Customer: replied 2 years ago.

Sorry about this, but when I go to Computer and click, it reveals the C (and other) drives and when I click on C I get a list of files, including program files and program (x86) files, where Quark resides. It does not give me the line you suggested.

Expert:  Richard replied 2 years ago.
Can I log on and look please on the connected computer?

It is easier to work with you on this. You can see and control everything I do

Can you please click on my link below.

http://tinyurl.com/9439e

This will download a program to your computer.

Run this program by double clicking it.

You will then see a Code and Password.

Please send that to me in your next message.

Do not close the program, please leave it open.

Make sure to seperate the code numbers with a space eg: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9

Customer: replied 2 years ago.

Code 149 584 542

password XXXXX

Expert:  Richard replied 2 years ago.
connected
Richard, Mac Genius
Experience: Apple Computers Specialist