Richard, Mac Genius
Experience:  Apple Computers Specialist
32989067

I evidently botched the entry of my new four-digit passcode

Customer Question

I evidently botched the entry of my new four-digit passcode when installing the latest IOS, and am now locked out of my ipad. All support sites require serial number, which is of course inaccessible.
Category: Mac
Expert:  Richard replied 3 years ago.
Thank you for your question, my name is Richard and I look forward to assisting you.

Please note, click on Reply to Expert to reply to me, a rating is only needed when we are finished.

You will have to reset the iPad, there is no other way to remove this.

To do the reset

Connect the iPAd to the computer and open itunes

Hold the power and home button down until you see

"iTunes has detected an iPad in recovery mode..."

Click Restore iPad, let this complete and it should now work

Let me know the results please

Customer: replied 3 years ago.

This may take this elderly idiot a little while ! Your patience requested. Will this mean that I lose all present content ?

Expert:  Richard replied 3 years ago.
No problem at all! and yes you will remove all content, but this, unless you can get the password, you cannot avoid this.
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Being 86, deaf, and dim, I have only got as far as this today ! I finally linked to the PC, and found the itunes site, but itunes does not seem to recognise the ipad on the PC screen. All that happens is that the Apple sign and an image of the larger (ipad) end of the ipad/PC lead pointing at an itunes sign alternate on the ipad screen, which I read to mean that the connection ia faulty, tho all appears to be OK. What now ???