Josh
Josh, Mac Support
Experience:  Expert for over 10 years
50836188

My iMac, which I normally never shut down, preferring just

My iMac, which I normally never shut down, preferring just to put it to sleep when not in use, now refuses to go to sleep (I think - screen disappears then immediately re-appears.) Screen-saver works OK but I then do not know whether the computer is asleep or not. Looked up "putting to sleep" in spotlight, which tells me that a file is corrupted or missing. Can you help, please?
Category: Mac
Expert:  Josh replied 3 years ago.
Hi! My name is XXXXX XXXXX I will be assisting you. Let's get started!

Do you have the exact error message for the corrupt file?
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Spotlight says "You can't open ``"%@" because it may be damaged or incomplete". In the meantime, after a complete shutdown, I have been able to put computer to sleep in normal way.

Expert:  Josh replied 3 years ago.
Ian,

After the restart, are you experiencing any issues with sleep mode? It is possible that there was a glitch in the software preventing it from working properly and the restart corrected the issue. Since you do not restart the computer often, it could have needed a reboot to correct the issue.