Richard, Mac Genius
Experience:  Apple Computers Specialist
32989067

Im locked out of my desk top and need to get the password

I'm locked out of my desk top and need to get the password XXXXX Who do I call for this ?
Category: Mac
Expert:  Richard replied 2 years ago.
Thank you for your question, my name is XXXXX XXXXX I look forward to assisting you.

Please note, click on Reply to Expert to reply to me, a rating is only needed when we are finished.

When you fail to sign in, what is the exact message you receive?

Is it User Profile Failed to load?

Customer: replied 2 years ago.

Yes the user profile won't download

Expert:  Richard replied 2 years ago.

First, can you turn off the computer

turn it on and keep tapping F8 until you get to a menu.

Choose Safe Mode.

This should get you into Windows in Safe Mode (you wont have internet but it is not needed for this).

Once in, click Start, and type in

System Restore

Press enter and follow the onscreen instructions to perform a Restore from the last Restore point.

Once completed, tell me if you can now start into Windows normally please.

Customer: replied 2 years ago.

This is not Windows, it is a Mac OSX

Expert:  Richard replied 2 years ago.
Thank you Alan.

For the Mac, you do it as follows

Restart the Mac holding down the Command+S keys, this will take you into Single User Mode and it’s Terminal interface

You’ll need to check the filesystem first so type:

fsck -fy

Next, you must mount the root drive as writeable so that changes will save so type:

mount -uw /

Now, type the following command exactly, followed by the enter key:

rm /var/db/.applesetupdone

After removing the applesetupdone file, you need to reboot, type ‘reboot’ and hit enter

In this step we just create a new user account as if you just got a new Mac:

Upon reboot, you will be presented with the traditional “Welcome Wizard” startup screen just like when you first get a Mac
Follow the welcome wizard and create a new user account – making the account name different from the account whose password XXXXX want to recover

Continue on and boot into Mac OS X with this newly created user account, this new user account is an Administrator and has administrative access

Reset the Forgot Password XXXXX System Preferences

You are almost done, now you just need to reset the forgotten user account password XXXXX the Accounts control panel:

Once you are booted into Mac OS X, click on the Apple logo and then navigate down to “System Preferences”

Click on the “Accounts” icon in System Preferences

Click on the Lock icon in the lower left corner of the “Accounts” preference window and enter the newly created user credentials, this enables you to change other user accounts and reset other users passwords

On the left side user panel, select the user account containing the forgotten password

With the user of the forgotten password XXXXX selected, click on the “Reset Password” button

Enter a new password XXXXX that user, be sure to include a meaningful hint

Close System Preferences and reboot the Mac

You can now login to the previously inaccessible user account using the newly reset password! All user files and settings are maintained as before the password XXXXX forgotten

If you have any problems, or would like any additional information or assistance, please do not hesitate to let me know.

And if you can take a second to rate my service, that would be greatly appreciated.

Customer: replied 2 years ago.

This is a bit too complicated for me ! I am going to have to get someone in to assist me. Can you just close your file please.

Expert:  Richard replied 2 years ago.
ok Alan, if you give them the instructions I gave, they can do them.

But it is the only method to reset the password, this is security and thus is always a bit complex.

If you would like to close the file, and you please click one of the smiley faces below.

Richard, Mac Genius
Experience: Apple Computers Specialist