Michelle
Michelle, Mac Technician
Experience:  Apple Computers and Mobile support with 12 years of exp.
70409726

I am pretty hyped up now. My Daughter Ipad is disabled with

Customer Question

I am pretty hyped up now.
My Daughter Ipad is disabled with message connect to itunes
She does not know her pass code and when we try to connect to ITunes it asks for passcode
I have tried to turn Ipad off with it not connected to ITunes and then held button down and have got option in iTunes to back up or restore, (but not reconfigure as new)
After many minutes of it downloading we get same error message asking for passcode

I have seen threads with how to reconfigure Ipad, reset as new etc , but these options do not come up.

ITunes on my daughter Mac and her sisters mac have been used in the past, so not sure whether I need to use one or other computer. It should not matter really.
I am considering configurator

What a complete pain, this is
Help
If I can sort without deleting stuff, fine, or just completely start it from scratch and wipe.
Category: Mac
Expert:  Michelle replied 2 years ago.

Michelle :

Hi, and welcome! My name is Michelle and I am excited to get started with you.

From what you are describing, it sounds like you placed your daughter's iPad into recovery mode. (Holding down both sleep and home button while connected) The Restore options will reconfigure your iPad as new. In itunes, click restore

JACUSTOMER-x27bdskn- :

No that is not the case.

Michelle :

Okay, what are your options in itunes>

JACUSTOMER-x27bdskn- :

What I am looking for is someone talking me through how I go from having message

JACUSTOMER-x27bdskn- :

Ipad disabled connect to Itunes

JACUSTOMER-x27bdskn- :

to having a working reset Ipad

Michelle :

You mentioned you saw Restore or backup. You will need to choose Restore

Michelle :

If it is still asking for passcode, it is not yet in recovery mode. To place it in recovery mode

First connect your iPad to your computer and open itunes. Next, Press and hold both the sleep and home button at the same time until the connect to itunes logo appears. Continue to hold when you see the apple logo. The sleep button is located at the upper right corner and the home button is the round button on the bottom front bezel of your iPad

Full Size Image

Michelle :

Were you able to initiate the restore using the above instructions?

JACUSTOMER-x27bdskn- :

I chose restore and after being connected for 15 minutes saying it was downloading data and that the time was around 60 plus minutes for this to complete at the top it then came up with an error message telling me to insert the pass code

JACUSTOMER-x27bdskn- :

Sorry had a meeting, back now

Michelle :

Its okay. Refer to the above steps to restore your iPad

JACUSTOMER-x27bdskn- :

right I am now at the check for update or Restore Ipad

Michelle :

Choose restore iPad

JACUSTOMER-x27bdskn- :

It does not say setup as new Ipad however.

JACUSTOMER-x27bdskn- :

this was where I was before and after pressing restore Ipad I get a box saying Are you sure you want to restore Ipad to its factory settings etc etc

Michelle :

Once you restore it (which takes about 10 mins) it will then ask you if you wish to set your iPad up as new or restore from backup. You will choose to set up as new

JACUSTOMER-x27bdskn- :

I can cancel l or hit restore and Update

Michelle :

Hit restore and update

JACUSTOMER-x27bdskn- :

It is now offering me iOS 6.1.3 which I can save, cancel or next

Michelle :

Choose next

JACUSTOMER-x27bdskn- :

ASKS ME TO AGREE iPAD SOFTWARE UPDATE

JACUSTOMER-x27bdskn- :

oops sorry for caps

Michelle :

Ha ha its ok I know you are not yelling :) Choose Agree

JACUSTOMER-x27bdskn- :

Says in Itunes

JACUSTOMER-x27bdskn- :

Downloading 1 iem

JACUSTOMER-x27bdskn- :

Ipad software update (61 minutes remaining)

JACUSTOMER-x27bdskn- :

item

Michelle :

Depending on your internet speed it will take some time. I should give you a more accurate time

Michelle :

Once it is down downloading, it will then restore

JACUSTOMER-x27bdskn- :

This is where is came up with error last time asking me for pass code after about 15 mins. I wonder whether update will not download without pass code. I did not get an option to restore or set up as new, lets see what happens this time

Michelle :

As mentioned above, If you do get the error message again, you will need to place your iPad into recovery mode. To do so

Press and hold both the sleep and home button at the same time until the connect to itunes logo appears. Continue to hold when you see the apple logo. The sleep button is located at the upper right corner and the home button is the round button on the bottom front bezel of your iPad

JACUSTOMER-x27bdskn- :

OK I have the mesage

Michelle :

Okay lets place it into recovery mode. Press and hold both buttons until your iPad shows up in recovery mode in itunes

JACUSTOMER-x27bdskn- :

ITunes could not connect to the Ipad because it was locked with a passcode. You must enter your passcode on the Ipad before it can be used with ITunes, then cancel or try again

JACUSTOMER-x27bdskn- :

I think I did this last time

JACUSTOMER-x27bdskn- :

let me check Is Ipad on

JACUSTOMER-x27bdskn- :

Is Ipad connected to Itunes

JACUSTOMER-x27bdskn- :

before doing the above

Michelle :

Okay power it off first

Michelle :

Then press and hold both buttons for 40 secs or until it shows up in recovery mode in itunes

JACUSTOMER-x27bdskn- :

should I disconnect cable between Ipad and Mac

Michelle :

No you just power off the ipad

JACUSTOMER-x27bdskn- :

so holding top right button down until get swipe to power off

Michelle :

Correct

JACUSTOMER-x27bdskn- :

powered off

Michelle :

Next press and hold both the top button and home button for 40 secs or unit the connect to itunes logo appears

Michelle :

In itunes, it say "This iPad is in recovery mode" The only option will be to restore

JACUSTOMER-x27bdskn- :

ok held buttons down got bitten Apple logo and then ITunes logo with cable and arrow pointing at ITunes logo

Michelle :

Now in itunes on your computer. Does it say your iPad is in recovery mode?

JACUSTOMER-x27bdskn- :

on ITunes got ITunes detected an Ipad in recovery mode. You must restore this Ipad before it can be used with ITunes, i.e round in same circle again

JACUSTOMER-x27bdskn- :

Are you sure this is not due to software update

Michelle :

Your iPad could have been disabled for too many attempts to enter password. This selection is not the same as the one you saw earlier

JACUSTOMER-x27bdskn- :

OK hit restore and now

Michelle :

hit restore

JACUSTOMER-x27bdskn- :

Ipad Recovery mode

JACUSTOMER-x27bdskn- :

iTunes is currently downloading software for the Ipad "Ipad" although it refers to it as Pete's Ipad in other pop up boxes just in case this is significant

Michelle :

Thats fine, it is only using the name of your iPad

JACUSTOMER-x27bdskn- :

still doing something, no news

Michelle :

It should be downloading the update.

Michelle :

Is the update displaying in the downloads column?

JACUSTOMER-x27bdskn- :

Downloading 1 item

JACUSTOMER-x27bdskn- :

ipad Software Update (43 minutes remaining) looks 2/5ths complete

Michelle :

hmm that is a while. I hope the iPad will remain in recovery mode.

JACUSTOMER-x27bdskn- :

Right

JACUSTOMER-x27bdskn- :

Ipad came up with ipad is disabled , connect to Itunes

JACUSTOMER-x27bdskn- :

ITunes again come up with

Michelle :

Is there another computer with itunes that you can use?

JACUSTOMER-x27bdskn- :

ITunes could not connect to Ipad "Peters Ipad" because it is locked with a passcode

JACUSTOMER-x27bdskn- :

You must enter your passcodes on the Ipad before it can be used with Itunes

JACUSTOMER-x27bdskn- :

Yes my other daughters

Michelle :

The problem is your iPad is exiting recovery mode while the update is downloading

JACUSTOMER-x27bdskn- :

OK next step then

Michelle :

Grab your daughters computer and connect your iPad to it

JACUSTOMER-x27bdskn- :

done

Michelle :

Does it say your ipad is in recovery mode on your daughters computer?

JACUSTOMER-x27bdskn- :

No We have same screen on Ipad and on Summary page of ITunes we have Peter's Ipad and it says IOS 6 available. A newer version of the Ipad softwareis available (version 7.1.1). To update your Ipad with the latest software click update . choices are upPdate or restore Ipad

JACUSTOMER-x27bdskn- :

been round this route 6 times now

Michelle :

It is not recovery mode so do not hit restore

JACUSTOMER-x27bdskn- :

OK do I detach from Mac Air and put in recovery again

Michelle :

Again, there are 2 different pages. The one that you just described will not work because it needs to be in recovery mode. Our issue is your iPad not remaining in recovery mode long enough while the download updates. We may need to do it manually. Keep the ipad connected and place it in recovery mode

JACUSTOMER-x27bdskn- :

powered off

JACUSTOMER-x27bdskn- :

holding buttons down

JACUSTOMER-x27bdskn- :

we are in recovery mode

Michelle :

Press restore. While that is going, I will give you the link to download the update manually incase it takes forever to download again.

Michelle :

What version iPad do you have so I can give you the correct link?

JACUSTOMER-x27bdskn- :

I am getting ITunes detected Ipad in recovery mode you must restore this Ipad before it can be used with Itunes

Michelle :

Choose restore

Michelle :

What version iPad do you have?

Michelle :

Is your computer also a Mac?

JACUSTOMER-x27bdskn- :

Ipad 2

JACUSTOMER-x27bdskn- :

the computer I am typing to you on is not involved in the process but it is a dell windows machne

JACUSTOMER-x27bdskn- :

I have Restore Window on Ipad Rcovery Mode in ITunes on Mac Air

Michelle :

Press restore

Michelle :

If it is downloading an update, Click on this link and choose the first link

http://www.iclarified.com/8500/where-to-download-ipad-firmware-files-from

JACUSTOMER-x27bdskn- :

and then Restore and Update is next window

JACUSTOMER-x27bdskn- :

Now I have question about the update

JACUSTOMER-x27bdskn- :

Save cancel or next

Michelle :

sure

Michelle :

Actually, click save for now. You internet connection is slower than normal so your ipad will exit recovery mode

Michelle :

Choose Save

Michelle :

Save it to the desktop

JACUSTOMER-x27bdskn- :

oops saved it t documents on mac air

Michelle :

Thats fine, as long as you can find it. We will need it

Michelle :

When the download is done, let me know

JACUSTOMER-x27bdskn- :

although saved and even saved terms and conditions. it still says it is downloading Software update and guess what its come out of recovery mode again

Michelle :

It should continue to say downloading. It is downloading to the documents folder

Michelle :

Once it is down downloading, we can place it back in recovery mode. This time, we will not have to wait because the update is already downloaded

JACUSTOMER-x27bdskn- :

OK 80 mins to down load etc and hope Mac has capacity

Michelle :

Its actually not that large. About 1GB

Michelle :

Im sure it will fit

JACUSTOMER-x27bdskn- :

The download has stopped at 500 MB started it again

Michelle :

Really? Did the mac go to sleep? Check to see if it actually stopped or if you can resume instead

JACUSTOMER-x27bdskn- :

It has resumed now from zero, it said download interrupted no reason

JACUSTOMER-x27bdskn- :

my daughter said she had only small memory available

Michelle :

Lets check. Click on the magnifying glass in the upper right corner and type in disk utility

Michelle :

Once disk utility is open, choose macintosh HD in the left column. At the bottom right corner you will see capacity and available. What does available read?

JACUSTOMER-x27bdskn- :

no its not there

Michelle :

Is disk utility Open?

Michelle :

Click on the magnifying glass in the upper right corner and type in disk utility open it

JACUSTOMER-x27bdskn- :

It opens a Wikipedia window?

Michelle :

Lets try another way. At the bottom left of your screen, do you see a Blue box with a smily face?

JACUSTOMER-x27bdskn- :

how do get the box bigger in the reply box on just answer, its getting smaller, no way of making it bigger?

Michelle :

You can not enlarge it, but refresh your page to get it back to the same size when we first started

Michelle :

Did the screen reply get back to normal?

Michelle :

Well you initiated the download again so it is a waiting game

Michelle :

I see you are now offline. When you return, reply to our chat. Once your download is complete, follow these instructions
1. Place your iPad back into recovery mode
2. You will have the option to restore and update or cancel. Press cancel
3. The restore button should still be there. Press and hold down the Option key while pressing the restore button. (The option key is the second key from the space bar, it also has alt on the key
4. A box will not open. Go to the documents folder or wherever you saved the download. The ending will be .ipsw
5. Choose the download to restore

JACUSTOMER-x27bdskn- :

Hi No

JACUSTOMER-x27bdskn- :

It did not resolve the situation.

JACUSTOMER-x27bdskn- :

I had to go into the Mac store and found there was a problem with the software. They downloaded something to fix it.

JACUSTOMER-x27bdskn- :

Then we went through restore process and we used a much faster internet connection

Michelle :

Hi, Thanks for the update. It did appear your internet speed did prevent you from downloading the update. I am glad you were able to get your daughters iPad up and running. Let me know if I can assist you with anything else