Ashik
Ashik, Mac Technician
Experience:  Bachelor of Computer Application (BCA), 9+ Years of Experience in troubleshooting Macs, iPhone, iPad, iPod etc
16433418

Hi, I have a MacBook Air and can connect to the internet and

Hi, I have a MacBook Air and can connect to the internet and use browsers, but cannot open any web pages. I can open gmail, GoDaddy and Facebook though. Can you help
Category: Mac
Expert:  Ashik replied 2 years ago.
Hi and Welcome. My Name is ***** ***** I look forward to assisting you today with your question.

Are you getting any errors when you open the websites ? When did this problem start ?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

If I click on a web page, the tab opens up saying no data received. When I clicked on 'more' the error code reads: ERR_EMPTY_RESPONSE

This happened a couple of days ago. It was fine one day, then not fine the next.

Expert:  Ashik replied 2 years ago.
Have you tried restarting your router ? Also, do you have another browser on your Mac to check ?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

The router in the house works fine with everyone elses computers. I have also connected the macbook to other outside routers (i.e. at work etc.) and have the same problem.

I have tried Google and Firefox and have the same problem.

Expert:  Ashik replied 2 years ago.
We can try changing some settings and if it works or not.
  1. Goto System Preferences and click Network.
  2. Select AirPort ( your connection)
  3. Click Advanced.
  4. Click Ethernet or Hardware (on the right-hand-side of the window that opens).
  5. Select Manually from the Configure menu.
  6. Select Custom from the MTU menu.
  7. Type 1458 in to the MTU box. If that didn't work, try 1400
  8. Click OK.
  9. Click Apply.
  10. Disconnect Wifi and reconnect it.

Please let me know if that didn't work, so we can continue troubleshooting.

Customer: replied 2 years ago.

This didn't work I'm afraid. When starting up the macbook again, there was a link scanner message that said 'one or more plug ins not active'. Could this be anything to do with the problem?

Expert:  Ashik replied 2 years ago.
It could be. Goto Macintosh HD > Library > Internet Plugins folder and trash all files from there. Restart the browser and try the websites. Did that work ?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

No it hasn't solved the problem

Expert:  Ashik replied 2 years ago.
What is the current MTU of your Mac now ? Also, reset the PRAM and NVRAM of your Mac. Follow the steps below;

1. Shut down your Mac
  2. Locate the following keys on the keyboard: Command, Option, P, and R.
  3. Turn on the computer and immediately press and hold the Command-Option-P-R keys. You must press this key combination before the gray screen appears and before the chime sound.
  4. Hold the keys down until the computer restarts and you hear the startup sound for two or three times.
  5. Release the keys and let the Mac boot up.

Also, what is the exact message you are getting from link scanner ?

Ashik, Mac Technician
Experience: Bachelor of Computer Application (BCA), 9+ Years of Experience in troubleshooting Macs, iPhone, iPad, iPod etc
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

The problem is still the same I'm afraid. The MTU is 1500

Expert:  Ashik replied 2 years ago.
Can you change the MTU to 1400 or 1470 and then try the sites again ?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

Problem remains the same I'm afraid.

Expert:  Ashik replied 2 years ago.
Can you connect your Mac via an ethernet cable to the router and check ? That should tell us whether the problem is related to wireless connectivity or not ?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

I'm afraid I don't have an ethernet cable so I will probably take the macbook to an apple store to sort this out! Thanks anyway

Expert:  Ashik replied 2 years ago.
Jennifer, I've some more suggestion. Please try this too. Go to MacHD/Library/Preferences/SystemConfiguration and trash these files :

com.apple.airport.preferences.plist
NetworkInterfaces.plist
preferences.plist
com.apple.nat.plist

This will reset the network settings of your Mac. Ignore the files if you can't find them.

Also, change the DNS of your Mac to Google DNS.

1. Go to System Preferences > Network
  2. Under Network, select Airport and click Advanced.
  3. Select the DNS tab
  4. Click + to replace any listed addresses with, or add, the Google IP addresses at the top of the list:
    • 8.8.8.8 and 8.8.4.4.
  5. Click Apply and OK.
  6. Restart your Mac and try the websites.

Any luck ?

Customer: replied 2 years ago.

Hi, I decided to go to the Apple store where they solved the problem. It was LinkScanner. During its latest update it had increased the security settings which stopped me using web pages.

Thanks for your help anyway.

Jenny

Expert:  Ashik replied 2 years ago.
Hi Jenny, deleting the plugins should have got rid of that Linkscanner. It might be installed on another location.

Anyway I'm very glad that you got it sorted out.

If you need any help from me, please don't hesitate to ask. If you take a second to rate my service positively, that'd be greatly appreciated. Thanks

Have a great day,
Ashik