Ashik
Ashik, Mac Technician
Experience:  Bachelor of Computer Application (BCA), 9+ Years of Experience in troubleshooting Macs, iPhone, iPad, iPod etc
16433418

I cannot open my Numbers files on my Mac as it says I need

I cannot open my Numbers files on my Mac as it says I need to install the latest version of Numbers.
This is already installed, and has been for months.
This is an intermittent message but prevents me working much of the time.
Category: Mac
Expert:  Ashik replied 3 years ago.
Hi and Welcome. My Name is ***** ***** I look forward to assisting you today with your question.

What version of Mac OS X are you using ?
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

10.9.3

Expert:  Ashik replied 3 years ago.
Did you purchase Numbers from App Store or as discs ?
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

I think it was from the App store although it was 4 years ago, but it may have come ready installed when I bought the Mac from an Apple store

Expert:  Ashik replied 3 years ago.
We can delete old Numbers and reinstall the latest version from AppStore. Goto Applications folder and trash Numbers from there. Don't empty the trash.

Then goto Applications folder and open AppStore. In AppStore, check under Purchased tab. If you can see Numbers there, then download it. If not, search Numbers and install it.

Please let me know if that didn't work, so we can continue troubleshooting.
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Done but still the same message - "you need a newer version of Numbers to open this spreadsheet" !!

Expert:  Ashik replied 3 years ago.
Goto Applications folder and do you see iWork folder there ?
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Yes -iWork 09

Expert:  Ashik replied 3 years ago.
David, it is possible that you have an older version of Numbers still there under iWork 09 folder. And your Mac is trying to open the spreadsheets with old Numbers. I want you to trash old Numbers application. Then open spreadsheet files.
Expert:  Ashik replied 3 years ago.
David, another way to solve the problem is right click (or control + click) on any file that have the problem, select Open With and select Other. Then select new version Numbers from there and enable "Always Open With" and click Open.

That should fix the problem. Please let me know how it goes.