Ashik
Ashik, Mac Technician
Experience:  Bachelor of Computer Application (BCA), 9+ Years of Experience in troubleshooting Macs, iPhone, iPad, iPod etc
16433418

Our iMac has developed a virus. Whilst reading the news, a

Customer Question

Our iMac has developed a virus. Whilst reading the news, a number of pornographic sites suddenly appeared which I couldn't clear and then a pop-up appeared saying I had to pay a GBP100 fine to restore my iMac to working order. We have reported this to the police who gave us a list of instructions to clear the problem, but we cannot even get past first base using them. Can you please help?
Category: Mac
Expert:  Ashik replied 3 years ago.
Hi and Welcome. My Name is ***** ***** I look forward to assisting you today with your question.

The instructions from the police are for Windows computer and not for Mac. It seems like your Safari is affected with that malware website. It probably is just a javascript and will not affect your Mac. Everytime you open Safari, it will goto that page. You just need to reset Safari to get this fixed. Goto Safari, click on Safari menu and select Reset Safari. Select all options in there and click Reset.

Then click on Safari menu and select Empty Cache.

You can also download and scan your Mac for viruses with this free AntiVirus application : http://www.clamxav.com/

If it happens again, please let know. If you've any questions or would like any additional information, please don't hesitate to ask. If you are satisfied with my service, please don't forget to rate me positively.
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
Where do I find the Safari Menu? All I have is:
File
Edit
View
History
Bookmarks
Window
Help
and the Menu doesn't appear in any of them?
Expert:  Ashik replied 3 years ago.
Open Safari and you can find the Safari menu next to the Apple icon. The name of the menu is Safari which is between Apple and File menus.
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
RESET SAFARI IS IN LIGHT GREY TYPE AND NOTHING HAPPENS WHEN I CLICK IT!
Expert:  Ashik replied 3 years ago.
We can reset it manualy then. What version of Mac OS X are you using ?
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
HOW WOULD I CHECK THAT, PLEASE?
Expert:  Ashik replied 3 years ago.
Click on the Apple icon and select About This Mac. You can find the version number there. It should be like Mac OS X 10.8, 10.9 etc
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
THANKS.

IT'S OSX10.9.3
Expert:  Ashik replied 3 years ago.

Force Quit Safari. To force quit, press Command + Option + Esc. This will bring the Force Quit window. Select Safari in it and pres Force Quit.

Then click on any empty space on desktop, hold down Option key on your Keyboard, click on Go menu in the top and select Library. This will take you to the Library folder of your User Account. Open Preferences folder.

Trash the file named "com.apple.safari.plist" from there. Open Safari. Did that work ?

Customer: replied 3 years ago.
SORRY, WE'RE A BIT STUPID HERE! WHERE IS THE OPTION KEY?
Expert:  Ashik replied 3 years ago.
Option key is the alt key and it is on the bottom row and on the left to space bar.
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
NO! THE 'POLICE/INTERPOL PAGE IS STILL THERE, AS IS THE GBP100 FINE POP-UP AND STILL CAN'T GET RID OF IT....
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
TRIED IT AGAIN AND IT STILL HASN'T CLEARED IT....
Expert:  Ashik replied 3 years ago.
Are you talking to me from different computer ?
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
YES FROM MY IPAD. OUR IPAD AND IPHONE ARE NOT AFFECTED, BUT WE ARE FOLLOWING YOUR INSTRUCTIONS ON OUR IMAC AS THAT IS THE ONE WITH THE STRANGE HAPPENINGS!!
Expert:  Ashik replied 3 years ago.
We can boot your Mac into Safe Mode and then reset it from there. Restart your Mac and immediately hold down Shift key on your keyboard. Keep it held down and this will boot into Safe Mode. Let me know once you did that, so we can move to next step.
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
WE ARE NOW IN SAFE MODE. THE FOLLOWING TWO ICONS HAVE APPEARED: MACINTOSH HD AND RECOVERY 10.9
Expert:  Ashik replied 3 years ago.
You are not in Safe Mode I think, but in recovery mode. Hold down the Power button for 10 seconds and your Mac will turn off.

Then restart and immediately hold down Shift key not option/alt key and this will boot into Safe Mode. Safe Mode will just look like an normal boot mode. Let me know how it goes.
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
OK. IT'S BOOTING UP NOW.
Expert:  Ashik replied 3 years ago.
Once it booted into Safe Mode,open Safari. Click on Safari menu and select Preferences. Click on Security tab and disable "Enable JavaScript" option.

Let me know once you did that
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
HUH!! PREFERENCES IS IN THE LIGHT TYPE AGAIN AND WIL NOT OPEN. THE OFFENDING PAGES HAVE POPPED UP AGAIN ON THE SCREEN....
Expert:  Ashik replied 3 years ago.
It seems like it completely affected the Safari browser. Force Quit Safari again (Command + Option + Esc). Then click on any empty space on desktop, hold down Option key on your Keyboard, click on Go menu in the top and select Library. This will take you to the Library folder of your User Account. Open Preferences folder. Trash the com.apple.safari.plist file

If you can see a filed named com.apple.safari.lock.plist file, then trash it too. Close it.
Click on desktop, hold down Option key on your Keyboard, click on Go menu in the top and select Library

Open Applications Support folder and if you can see Safari folder in there, trash it. Don't open Safari yet. Let me know..
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
THERE SEEM TO BE A NUMBER OF COM.APPLE SAFARI, PLIST.LOCK FILES, BUT NONE WITH LOCK BEFORE PLIST!
Expert:  Ashik replied 3 years ago.
It is okay. Trash them all. Then do this. Click on blank area of desktop, hold down Option key on your Keyboard, click on Go menu in the top and select Library

You can find a Safari folder there. Trash it. Don't empty the trash.

Then goto Macintosh HD, open Library folder and open Internet Plugins folder. Trash all files from there. Open Safari
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
SORRY...WHERE DO WE FIND MACINTOSH HD?
Expert:  Ashik replied 3 years ago.
Macintosh HD is your hard disk's name. You can find it in desktop. If you can't find it in desktop, then click on Go menu and select Computer. You can find Macintosh HD there. Open it.
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
WE HAVE DONE THE FOLLOWING: Then goto Macintosh HD, open Library folder and open Internet Plugins folder. BUT WHEN WE OPEN INTERNET PLUGINS FOLDER IT SAYS 'CAN'T BE MODIFIED OR DELETED BECAUSE IT'S REQUIRED BY OSX'
Expert:  Ashik replied 3 years ago.
Delete one by one and delete the ones you can and ignore the others. After doing everything, hold down Shift key and open Safari. Let me know..
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
DONE! THE OFFENDING PAGES HAVE GONE,, BUT THE SAFARI PAGE ISN'T STABLE; IT KEEPS BREAKING UP.
Expert:  Ashik replied 3 years ago.
It will be OK after boot into normal mode. Now, click on Safari menu and select Reset Safari. Select all options and click Reset.

Then Empty Cache from Safari. Then just restart your Mac.
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
SORRY AGAIN...WHERE DO WE FIND EMPTY CACHE?
Expert:  Ashik replied 3 years ago.
In Safari menu. You were able to select Reset Safari this time. Right ?
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
YES. THEN WE WENT BACK INTO THE DROPDOWN MENU FROM THE WORD SAFARI, BUT IT DOESN'T SAY EMPTY CACHE!
Expert:  Ashik replied 3 years ago.
Ok, ignore it and then just restart your Mac.
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
GOLLY! YOU ARE AMAZING! ALL IS WELL. HOWEVER, BEFORE WE LET YOU GO, JUST ONE MORE QUESTION. WHEN WE STARTED THIS EXERCISE, WE CLICKED FOR A GBP52 SUBSCRIPTION TO THIS SERVICE, BUT FIRST THERE IS A FREE WEEK'S TRIAL. WILL WE BE REMINDED ABOUT THIS AT THE END OF THE WEEK, PLEASE?
Expert:  Ashik replied 3 years ago.
Glad you got it worked Jennifer. Sorry, I don't know about the subscription details as I don't have access to any of those information. To know more about that, please contact the customer support at [email protected]

And Jennifer, add a bookmark of this page. So if you ever need help in the future, you can get back to me directly.

If you are satisfied with my service, please rate me positively as Good or Excellent Service.

Have a great day,
Ashik
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
THAT WOULD BE SUPER TO GET YOU AGAIN, BUT (OH, DEAR, HERE COMES ANOTHER QUESTION!) HOW DO WE BOOKMARK THIS PAGE? I WILL CERTAINLY DO THIS ONCE I KNOW HOW!

WE WILL CERTAINLY GIVE YOU AN EXCELLENT RATING.....HOPE YOU ENJOY THE REST OF YOUR DAY TOO.
Expert:  Ashik replied 3 years ago.
Just click on the Bookmark menu and select Add Bookmark. Or press Command D to add bookmark.

Have a great day,
Ashik
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Thanks....have done that!

On another topic, if I may? In my Yahoo email, above all of the emails In and Out there is a line of advertising which changes frequently. Can I get rid of that?

In the meantime, shall I rate our previous question and still keep communicating with you?

Thanks again....Jennifer

Expert:  Ashik replied 3 years ago.
Those are the ads put by Yahoo and they will change it frequently. I've it for my Gmail account and I usually don't mind them. If you want to get rid of ads, you have to download another browser like Firefox or Chrome and install an extra addon/plugin like Adblock. Adblock will block ads in all websites you browse.
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

That's very helpful; thank you so much.

Over and out (for now!!). I'll do the rating as soon as I send this.

Expert:  Ashik replied 3 years ago.
Glad I could help you Jennifer. If you have any questions or would like any additional information, please don't hesitate to ask.

Take Care,
Ashik
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

That's really kind of you and very comforting to know we can always call on you. You have been extraordinarily patient and your instructions were so clear to us dud-heads!

Do enjoy the rest of your day.....by the way, where are you based? Somewhere on the East Coast?

Expert:  Ashik replied 3 years ago.
I'm from India Jennifer.
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Love your country!

But are you currently sending me emails from there, the US or here?

Expert:  Ashik replied 3 years ago.
Thanks. I'm talking to you from India.
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Goodness me! It must be late!

Cocktail time here now! Hurrah!

Expert:  Ashik replied 3 years ago.
Ha ha. It's 10:45 PM here. I usually work or will be here until 2:00 AM everyday.
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Golly......well, you do a super job. We may well be back again soon!

Expert:  Ashik replied 3 years ago.
Thank you Jennifer.
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Hello Again.

We have tried to find the customer support link on the JustAnswer home page, but cannot find it. They are looking at charging us again and seeing as we signed up for a week's free trial, this is very annoying.

Expert:  Ashik replied 3 years ago.
Hello Jennifer, Sorry about that. You just need to mail them. Their email ID is [email protected]

Or contact them from here : http://www.justanswer.com/help/contact.aspx?asGuest=1

If you got charged unauthorized, then you can ask them for refund.

Also, goto this page and see if you can cancel the subscription : http://ww2.justanswer.com/help/how-can-i-cancel-my-subscription
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Thanks. Have used the link and cancelled. Enjoy your day.

Expert:  Ashik replied 3 years ago.
You too :)