Richard, Mac Genius
Experience:  Apple Computers Specialist
32989067

I have been given an I- Pad 1 to see if I like it with a view

I have been given an I- Pad 1 to see if I like it with a view to getting a more modern one if I do. It has been cleared of previous content and i am trying to re-activate it. I cannot establish connection with my BT hub. Please advise me what I should do. Thank you.
Category: Mac
Expert:  Richard replied 3 years ago.
Thank you for your question, my name is ***** ***** I look forward to assisting you.

Please note, click on Reply to Expert to reply to me, a rating is only needed when we are finished.

Can you do the following please.

Go to Settings, General, Reset and press on Reset Network Settings.

Once done, hold the power and home button on the iPad for about 10 seconds until you see the Apple Logo, then release the buttons and let the iPad restart.

When it has, then try to connect to your wireless and let me know the results.

Customer: replied 3 years ago.

How can I possibly go to settings when I cannot get into the I-pad programme? I have tried by pressing power button and home button for several seconds and get the apple logo then nothing further.

Expert:  Richard replied 3 years ago.
ok, I want not aware you could not get into the settings, and that you were still on the setup page.

If this is the case? Then on the back of the BT Wireless Router is a reset button.

Push and hold this in for 10 seconds, then release, then try to connect the iPad.

If it fails, tell me the exact message you are getting please.

Customer: replied 3 years ago.

unable to connect to network BTHub3-6G2N

Expert:  Richard replied 3 years ago.
Where are you getting the password ***** to connect to the wireless network?

Customer: replied 3 years ago.

The screen advises that the password ***** ***** one's e-mail address so that is what I am entering.

Expert:  Richard replied 3 years ago.
ok, that is not correct Thomas. The screen is referring to your Apple ID. This is why it is not working, as your using the wrong password.

The wireless password ***** be written on a Label on the BT Hub.

It will either be written as Wireless Security Key or Passphrase.

Use this as the password ***** connecting to the wireless network.

Let me know the results please

Customer: replied 3 years ago.

I have done that. The password ***** my hub is PFE4AMJW, which I have entered but with the same result. i.e. failed to connect.

Expert:  Richard replied 3 years ago.

You will have to reset the iPad again then.

To do the reset

Connect the iPad to the computer and open itunes

Click here to download it if you do not already have it

Hold the power and home button down until you see

"iTunes has detected an iPad in recovery mode..."

Click Restore iPad, let this complete and then try to connect the iPad to your wireless network.

Let me know the results please

Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Tried downloading I-tunes but with no success. Message says was unable to download I-tunes. Clicking retry button achieves nothing

Expert:  Richard replied 3 years ago.
Is the computer already connected via a wireless network?
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

of course, I am talking to you now via the net. Incidentally there is no way I can connect my computer to this I-pad 1 . There is no socket on it.

Expert:  Richard replied 3 years ago.
The computer should have a USB port, every computer in the last 15 years has had one, so you may need to check on the back of it.

The fact though you cannot download a file from the internet is starting to point to an issue with the router.

When you did the reset I requested, on the BT Home Hub, did the computer lost internet for about 1 minute?
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

I'm afraid I didn't notice whether it did or not.

Expert:  Richard replied 3 years ago.
ok, I dont think the reset was done correctly Thomas.

Please do it again.

Make sure the BT Home Hub is powered on, and with it on, hold the Reset button on the back for 10 seconds, then release.

You need to then make sure your computer loses internet to ensure it is resetting correctly.

If you see the computer lose internet, then it is resetting.

Wait 5 minutes, then attempt to connect the iPad to the wireless network.

Let me know the results please

Customer: replied 3 years ago.

I have reset the hub and it all went as normal. During the reset I had your message on screen on my laptop. It did not change at all during the reset, which I presume indicates something, but what I don't know.

When I referred to not being able to connect the computer and I-pad I meant that the I-pad has no socket to connect to the laptop USBs.

Expert:  Richard replied 3 years ago.
The iPad has a socket, it is at the bottom of it, and you need to use the Cable that came with it.

But I need to know, did the computer lose internet during the reset? This is what I needed you to check please.

Customer: replied 3 years ago.

You seem to be suggesting that I could still be connected to the internet during reset. I thought that would be impossible since I would for that period have lost my broadband connection. I cannot say anything beyond that.

Since I have only just been given the I-pad with not much info, I thought the socket on the bottom was just for charging the battery but I now see that the cord has a USB connection and could connect to my laptop.

Expert:  Richard replied 3 years ago.
No, I am indicating you will lose internet if it resets, so I have been trying to find out from you Thomas, if during the reset, the computer lost the internet connection.

This is how you responded

"I have reset the hub and it all went as normal. During the reset I had your message on screen on my laptop. It did not change at all during the reset, which I presume indicates something, but what I don't know."

So please, again, do the reset and make sure the computer loses its internet connection during the reset.

Customer: replied 3 years ago.

during the reset I did not appear to be disconnected from the net. This amazes me. Not being very "techy" I did not think that was possible.

I tested to see if I was still connected by going to google and e-mail and they both seemed to be still there.

Expert:  Richard replied 3 years ago.
this is what I suspected, which means the Wireless router itself is the cause of this. It is going to me the internal memory that is faulting. The reason is some functionality works eg: Your computer is ok, but trying to connect new devices, or doing large file transfers is bringing the issue up. This is also why it is not resetting.

I am really sorry about this and you are going to have to return the BT Hub to have it replaced. It will be covered by the warranty, and the replacement will be done at no cost to you, but this is the cause of the issue.

I am really sorry about this, and if you have problems, or would like any additional information or assistance, please do not hesitate to let me know.

And if you can take a second to rate my service by clicking one of the smiley faces, that would be greatly appreciated.

Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Thank you. Since I am no better off from talking to you I think you should refund my money.

Expert:  Richard replied 3 years ago.
Your better off because we spent all this time to confirm what the problem is and what you need to do.

If you wish to just take this time and effort and the answer and not pay for it then you get your refund here.

http://ww2.justanswer.com/help/how-can-i-request-refund

Not what you do when you finish receiving a service from someone.

But do as you wish.
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

I do appreciate your effort and I will not request a refund if that's how you feel, but to be honest I don't believe that I can break my broadband connection by resetting and still be connected to the internet. I have reset many times while having trouble with broadband and have never had network availability during the reset as you seem to be saying I am experiencing now. That's why I was reluctant to pay .

Expert:  Richard replied 3 years ago.
You completely misunderstanding what I am saying Thomas.

I will try to tell you again.

You will LOSE internet connectivity when you reset the Router.

As you are not LOSING internet, then this is why we know it is NOT resetting.

I used capitals to emphasis the important points.

If you would like any additional information or assistance, please do not hesitate to let me know.

And if you can take a second to rate my service by clicking one of the smiley faces below, that would be greatly appreciated.