Brandon M.
Brandon M., Mac Support Specialist
Experience:  10+ Years Mac Support as contractor and currently an IT Manager for law firm
12024030

I want to transfer some old audio tapes to digital format with

I want to transfer some old audio tapes to digital format with my Macbook Pro (the older version). I intend to use Audacity. A couple of months back the hard disc and keyboard were replaced. Up until this point it was always straightforward to use the internal input socket. Now, for some reason, I appear to have no signal. Is this purely a matter of reconfiguration and can you advise. OS is Mavericks
Category: Mac
Expert:  Brandon M. replied 3 years ago.
Hello, my name is ***** ***** I would be happy to help.

If you open up System Preferences from the Apple menu, choose Sound. Under the Input tab, see what options you have. You should have Built-in Microphone and a Line In. Make sure that Line In is chosen. When you play the tape, you should see the level bar move to indicate it is receiving a signal.

Let me know if you still have trouble or if you do not see a Line In option.

Best regards,
Brandon
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Thanks Brandon.

There is no movement in the level bar. The Built in Microphone level indicator works fine. I have also checked the tape player and the cable with another device

Thanks for getting back to me. So, just to make sure I am with you - you have a Line In, however, there is no movement on the bar, correct?

If so, let's try a few things. First, we will try an SMC reset. The SMC controls some of the hardware in the system. Shut down the Mac properly using Shutdown from the Apple menu. Once the Mac is off, make sure it is connected to the power adapter. On the left side of the built-in keyboard, hold down Shift, Control and Option. While holding these, press the power button and let go of all of the buttons at the same time. The light on the power adapter connector may change - this is normal. Wait about 5 seconds and press the power button to turn the system on. Once booted, return to System Preferences and check to see if Line In is working.

If this doesn't work, we can try a PRAM reset. This holds information for the system at boot and can cause weird issues, especially regarding sound. Shut down the Mac properly again. On the keyboard, press and hold down Option, Command, P and R. While holding these down, press the power button once. Leave the 4 keys held until you hear the startup chime twice, then you can let go. Let the system boot and return to System Preferences again.

Let me know how you make out with this.

Brandon

See if this w
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

That's done it....thanks