Omer Mushahwar
Omer Mushahwar, Computer Hardware Engineer
Experience:  I work with Mac Computers and Servers on a daily basis
37817776

I am transferring old VHS tapes onto DVD-R discs. The aim

I am transferring old VHS tapes onto DVD-R discs. The aim is then to convert them to Mpgs on my Macbook Pro.

Once transferred from the VHS tapes the DVDs work fine in the DVD player that I used for the transfer (a Daewoo DF-4501P) but they will not play on my Macbook Pro. Initially I couldn't even see the DVD on the Macbook Pro, but after using a lens cleaner on the Daewoo a number of times , the Macbook Pro now seems able to see the disk, but no content.

Any thoughts?
Category: Mac
Expert:  Omer Mushahwar replied 3 years ago.

Omer Mushahwar :

Hi and thanks for using Just Answer.com

Could you please tell me what version of MAC OSX you are running? You can find this by clicking on the apple and selecting about this mac.

Also can you tell me how old them macbook pro is? Also is the drive built in or are you using an external super drive?

The main reason I ask these questions is if its an older drive or mac book the issue could simply be a dirty lens, while it would work with regular dvds or cds it may not read DVD-R you can try using a disk cleaner on the drive on the mac book or even spraying in air with canned air (electronic grade ) is best to use to clean the laser which would have issues with DVD-rs depending on how clean it was

Omer Mushahwar :

this was a big issues with Macbook pros released around the time of leopard or 10.5 OSX

Customer:

Sorry, should have said. Mavericks. I have two macbook pros, one with the built in drive, the other with the super drive which is only about 3 months old. I am having the same problem with each. Both appear to work fine with other DVDs which have either been commercially recorded or not come from the Daewoo

Omer Mushahwar :

One other question where did you purchase your Daewoo drive its possible it is adding a regional encoding that doesnt match your macbook drive or super drive?

also I would still try and run your dvd cleaner in the super drive and the macbook internal drive

Customer:

In the Daewoo manual it says it is a region 2 DVD, and both of my Macs are set to Region 2.

Customer:

I have cleaned both of the Mac drives but I still get a message saying that the disc is empty. The same disc will play fine on the Daewoo DVD drive. Very puzzling

Customer:

Problem resolved. I had been given incorrect information about the Daewoo player.....infuriating!!! Thanks for your help though