Mike the Mac Medic
Mike the Mac Medic, Mac Support Specialist
Experience:  Over 20 years IT experience with Apple computers in publishing, marketing and design.
25267123

In Finder the documents only go back to 2013 - I need one from

Customer Question

In Finder the documents only go back to 2013 - I need one from 2012 and can't find it!
Category: Mac
Expert:  Mike the Mac Medic replied 2 years ago.
Please go to the Apple logo on the upper left of the screen, go to About This Mac (DO NOT Select More Info), and tell me the Version (under Mac OS X), the Processor and the Memory, it is all right there.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

Version 10.9.4

Processor 2.5GHz intel Core i5

Memory 4GB 1600 MHz DDR3

I want you to check some things that may or may not be affecting the situation. I am required to post any procedure as an Answer even if it is just a diagnostic test, so please ignore the Rate to Finish box and Reply to Expert after you have tried that.

Restart the computer then immediately hold the Command and R keys to boot to Recovery HD partition, when it boots select the Disk Utility and Continue. Then select Macintosh HD on the left and first Verify Disk on the right and if that is OK Repair Permissions. If Verify Disk is not OK try to Repair Disk.

Customer: replied 2 years ago.

This looks scarily technical! What is Recovery HD partition? I am worried that doing this procedure may affect my computer adversely in other areas - could you reassure me please!

It is normal maintenence. Do you have a Trime Machine backup?
recovery HD is a hidden partition that you can boot from to do maintenence.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

I was hoping that I could find the missing documents more easily without having to go through a maintenance process which does worry me-

especially if I don't automatically have back up.

If that is the only way to go then maybe I should wait until I have got a back up system in place...though I do have iCloud back up if that does the job well enough??

It is normal maintenance and I have customers do it all the time. You should be able to do it without worry. If you are not having any other serious issues it is unlikely to cause any more problems. But I have to know your hard drive directory is ok before continuing. You should know how to do this for future issues. It is recomened by Apple

You can wait until you get a backup drive if you are worried but if the directory on your hard drive is corrupt (that tells the drive what files are where) that may not help much but the files you can find should be able to be backup up by simple copying. Let me know what you want to do.

Customer: replied 2 years ago.

I am nervous! when you say the documents can be backed up by copying there are a lot of them! I think I will wait until I can move the ones I need to dropbox and then go through the procedure you suggest.

I haven't time to do that now....

Can we speak again another time?

Yes come back when ready, but you can find out easiliy by just doing it and if Verify Disk is Ok then you have no worries, just Repair Permissions which is totally safe. If Verify Disk fails then you can do what you suggest.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

When you say 'if verify disk is OK then you have no worries' what does that mean in terms of finding my older documents?

I can't say until that is ruled out. I am guessing it will not be ok in which case you can just quit and not Repair Disk since you are worried. If it is not OK then I suggest you not use the computer until you can backup your files. And in future a Time Machine backup or Time capsule backup is recommended ALWAYS!
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

Ok...thanks for your help so far and I will be back in touch!

OK