Jason Jones
Jason Jones, Mac Technician
Experience:  Several years of supporting Mac systems.
30759776

How do I delete text recipients in the drop down when you start

How do I delete text recipients in the drop down when you start a brand new message?
Category: Mac
Expert:  Jason Jones replied 3 years ago.
Hello, my name is Jason. I look forward to helping you today.

Who is your e-mail provider (Yahoo, Gmail, AOL, etc)?
-- When you type the full address on this site, it is blocked.
-- What comes after the @ sign?
Which program do you use to access your email (Outlook, Mac Mail, Entourage, Internet Explorer, Firefox, etc)?
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

I am not referring to email- I am referring to text on my iphone 5

Thank you for the update and sorry for the confusion.
I am not following 100%. May I ask for you to elaborate a little on what you are asking about?
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

OK, when I start a brand new text and start to type a name in, say Sarah, I get a drop down of all my friends old numbers that have been deleted from my contacts plus their new numbers - llike this:

Sarah G ***** *** ***

Sarah ***** *** ***

Sarah Go ***** *** ***

How do I delet the bottom two?

This is a very common issue with the iPhone.
Please, follow the instructions that I typed below for you (I am using your example as mine too):
- Create a new message
- Type in: Sarah
- Tap the contact you wish to remove, choose Edit Contact, and then delete it.
There is a quicker way to do this, but it requires you to restore your iPhone and then restore from a backup.
I look forward to your next message or your rating below.
To rate me, you can click one of the faces below and click Submit/Ok or click the Accept button.
If you ever wish to work with me in the future, you can ask your new questions and have them sent to me directly at the following page: www.JasonFixedit.com
Thank you again,
- Jason
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

This does not work- all it does if I tap the contact is bring it up into the send bar like I am going to send a message to that person.

I'm sorry. I think I left out a very important step.
You have to have a current conversation with the contact that you wish to edit details for and then delete.
- Create a new message
- Type in: Sarah
- Tap the contact you wish to remove, send one message.
- Now you will have a message thread.
- On the top of the message thread, tap Edit Contact, and delete it.
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

If I do that all I get is

Edit- which means I can delete certain messages

Add contact

Call

Face Time

There is not an edit contact button.

Did you already send that contact a message?
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Yes

Very curious.
Make sure you are tapping the contact and not the message.
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

These are contacts that have been deleted already and they do not appear as contacts in my phone contatcs. Just in the message drop down.

I understand.
You must start a text conversation with the unwanted contact, then you will be able to edit contact/delete.
Another way to do this is as follows.
You will have to restore the iPhone to a base firmware install, which will erase everything on the iPhone, but you can later restore the contents of the iPhone to a backup that you have on the computer (the same computer you used in the past to sync the phone with):
- You will need to have the iTunes application installed first. If you do not have it, you can download it for free from the following site: http://www.apple.com/itunes/download/
- Press and hold the top power button until the iPhone turns off
- Connect the iPhone to the computer that you have been using the phone and iTunes with
- Hold down the HOME button on the front while pressing the Power button (continue holding the home button)
- Continue to hold the HOME button until you see the "Connected to iTunes" message
Option 1: In the Summary tab, click Restore and follow the prompts. (THIS WILL ERASE everything on the iPhone and make it just as it was when you first purchased the phone).
Option 2: Click the button on the top right of the iTunes window for your (iPhone) and then click the Restore button.
- Once that is complete, right click the iPhone listing in the left panel of the iTunes window
- Choose "Restore from Backup"
- Choose a backup date and restore.
Now your iPhone will be back up and have all the restored information from your last sync.
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

I have started a new message with the unwanted "ghost" contact but I do not get edit contact as, I assume, they are no longer in my contacts. I can do it with existing contacts but not those erased already.

In that case, you will have to follow the instructions that I posted above.
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Is this because I am on old software?

Customer: replied 3 years ago.

And can I restore from ICloud?

Yes, that is the plan. After you run that, restore from iCloud.
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

This will have to be a last resort.

I agree.
That is the only way known to me or anyone else that I can find.