Mike the Mac Medic
Mike the Mac Medic, Mac Support Specialist
Experience:  Over 20 years IT experience with Apple computers in publishing, marketing and design.
25267123

Hello, i have a late 2010 minimac that came with ox lion loaded,

Hello, i have a late 2010 minimac that came with ox lion loaded, recently the hard drive capitulated, and unfortunately my timemachine back up ay only have my files on it and not the lion image
Ive fitted a new solid state drive , when i press command r at start up , it goes online and takes about 10 minutes to load some rescue data, one of the options there is to reload a fresh lion, but when i choose that option , i get the message , this copy of the install mac os x lion application is damaged and cant be used to install mac os x.
What is the solution to this problem , do i need to get a lion disc from apple ?
Category: Mac
Expert:  Mike the Mac Medic replied 3 years ago.
Mike the Mac Medic :

You should be able to create a boot-able external USB, FireWire, SDHC or SDXC card, or a Thunderbolt storage device. See here:

Mike the Mac Medic :

The internet recovery system expects to see a recovery partition on your install drive but since you have a new drive that is missing. This should by pass that problem by allowing you to install from an external device.

Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Hello, thank u for your help , i needed it urgently earlier , and it informed me a live expert was online awaiting response , however a reply took over 90 minutes, so i will be requesting that my 36 is downgraded to 24 pounds

i have now retrned and tried the process , ive installed a usb reformatted as requested ok, but when i try to install osx procedure , my apple logo option only has 3 options which are start up disk , restart or shutdown

ie no option to open mac store application ?

I took the question when I saw it. I can't do anything with the amount paid for the question. Do you wish to continue or would you like customer service?
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

yes i have to take the serrvice now , im happy with you , not the intermediate

Do you have a spare Mac? How are you communicating with me?
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

an old windows laptop

Oh ok did you format the USB stick according to the directions making a GUID partition? What capacity is the USB stick?
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

yes dont worry im quite adept when i have the time, its a 32gb but ive done exactly as it stated

OK when you tried to install it using Intermet Recovery did you first try to erase the new drive?
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

I started mac with command r . internet recovery then takes about 15 mins to load . then i installed the 32gb usb, then in disk utility , i cant recall if i erased first or partitioned as it was empty , but now im thinking maybe hidden files? would 1 single partition not erase everything anyways

No I meant the first time before you treid the USB stick did you erase the SSD using Format MAC OS Extended (Journaled)?
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

yes it was erased earlier this morning , but ive just did it again , also the usb , but same problem of no apple install osx option

Can you give me the exact error message or is it exactly what you stated in your question?
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

in my first question was the error message that it gives if i choose the install lion option just 2 above the disk utility option in that open window, however i believe the link you sent me declares that if i click the apple logo top left of screen, then i should get option for install osx ....or have i misunderstood

No if your Mac is Internet Recovery capable trying to boot to recovery HD will automatically go to Internet Recovery when it senses you have no Recovery Partition on your startup drive. You can also try Command+Option+R at startup to get to Internet Recovery. I can't find any information on the error message "this copy of the install mac os x lion application is damaged and cant be used to install mac os x", if that is the exact message then it sounds like the download is not completing. If you try it again using Command+Option+R and it still fails I can make available a USB image for you but you will need a Mac to burn it. Let me know.

Customer: replied 3 years ago.

hello, ive now tried to use the restore by time machine option and this time it has allowed the process , it is currently in the restore mode onto new ssd saying about 3 hrs 12 mins to go on 3.3 % so i will b sleeping soon and let it go , so the first time machine back up must have taken the image but last night this option wasnt coming to anything , but it is restoring now as i type so i will let you know how it goes later or in morning

OK let me know.
You will be amazed at the difference with an SSD I just installed on on my MacBook pro
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
Have u tried using Linux os on a mac
Only in Parallels, Ubuntu
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
What do you mean in parallels ?
Parallels software:

http://www.parallels.com/products/desktop/

It’s not just for Windows
Support for running a wide array of operating systems including OS X Mavericks, Windows 8.1 & 7, Linux and Google Chrome means you can do just about anything on your Mac.
So I don't have to reboot can run them at the same time as MacOS
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
Oh that's very handy , I will look into that sometime soon
Yes I have version 9 works very well but version 10 is supposed to be 50% faster, take that with a grain of salt. LOL
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

hi, it has restored now my time machine onto new sssd, I'm not exactly sure why it did not do it in the first instance but there it is .

Thank you for your inputs