John T. F.
John T. F., Mac Druid
Experience:  20+ years in the computer/Mac industry
60674955

How do I sync photos & videos onto my iPod using iTunes from

Customer Question

How do I sync photos & videos onto my iPod using iTunes from my laptop with widows vista OS?
Category: Mac
Expert:  John T. F. replied 2 years ago.
Hello! My name is***** will work diligently to provide accurate advice and information.

What model of iPod do you have please?

Thanks,
John
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

Hi John, The model is ME179LL/A with iOS ver. 6.1.6

Thanks,

that should be an iPod touch.

...and can you tell me what version of iTunes you have installed?

John
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

Do you mean on my PC?

Yes.

John
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

I have only just downloaded it so it should be the latest version!

Great!

If I understand correctly, Norman, you have iCloud enabled on the iPod?

John
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

Yes John, I followed Apple web site instructions & I have iCloud 2.1.3 panel on my PC that ver. only works on vista OS (or should do!!). That doesn't sync reverse direction to my iPod! I have no photos currently on my iPod!

Norman

Thanks, Norman.

Open a Windows Explorer window.

Under Favorites, select Photo Stream.

Open "My Photo Stream".

Click the "Add photos" button.

Select the photos to import to My Photo Stream, then click Open.

This should push the photos you add into iCloud and they should appear on your iPod shortly after that in the Photo Stream album.

If you still have concerns, please do not negatively rate my answer, simply reply back before rating. I'll be more than happy to work with you further. When we are finished, please give my answers a positive rating so I will be credited for my assistance. You are judging my personal service only (not this website, the price, or your issue) and high ratings assure I remain in good standing.

Thanks and good luck,
John
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

Thanks John,

I'm in the UK the time is 2am over here, so I'm going to bed now will try your answer in the morning, good night.........Norman

Have a good night, Norman.

John
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

HI again, John

I found 'Photo Stream' NOT in 'Favorites folders' but in 'Pictures folder' & also in 'Favorite LINKS' with a shortcut/flower icon !

My photostream is a Cloud icon ? I had to right click on that to get 'Add photos button' with photos selected from a file & 'Highlighted' I clicked 'Open' these did not go to 'My photo stream' but went into a 'Uploads' folder, but did not get transferred to my iPod !

I checked 'My photo stream /Cloud icon window' double left click to see what was there, a Windows message came up "ApplePhotostreams.exe has stopped working correctly & then closed the program !

It doesn't appear to me iCloud is working properly in Windows Vista on my PC !!

I mentioned this in my original Question " on how to get iTunes to sync" & I have since fathomed this out for myself by plugging in the 30 pin/USB lead connection which automatically activates iTunes & recognises my iPod. By going into Library/Photos & activating Sync button I now have some of my Albums on my iPod !

Posing another question is my broadband router server preventing iCloud working over wifi ?

All the best, Norman

Glad you found that Norman.

iCloud works over the internet so in most cases, if you computer can connect to the internet then so can iCloud.

However, if you're iCloud installation is having trouble there are a few things you can try:

1) Completely uninstall and then re-install iCloud

2) If you are running any third-party antivirus or firewall software, it may interfere with iCloud (and iTunes for that matter). You should temporarily uninstall this and then test if iCloud works as you would expect.

You can indeed use iTunes to transfer photos back and forth but you should not use both. If you find you wish to keep using iTunes for this purposes then it may be best to disable Photo Stream if they prove troublesome.

John
John T. F., Mac Druid
Experience: 20+ years in the computer/Mac industry
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

John,

I think I intimated before, I cannot re-install iCloud as the latest version only works on Windows 7/8 OS which I don't have!

Also iTunes appears to be working ok with my antivirus /firewall software, though what you say is worth bearing in mind.

As I don't have other Apple products to use iCloud with maybe I shall uninstall this on my PC, alternatively I could link via Bluetooth to upload any photos from my iPod !

My regards ***** ***** assistance, I'll give you an "OK" ......Norman

Norman,

I didn't suggest you install the "latest" version of iCloud - only that it be re-installed.

In reference to antivirus/firewall software. It can block specific ports needed by the software to communicate, leaving the rest of the application running fine. This is more of a concern for iCloud since it is entirely focused on internet communication but it can effect iTunes, as well, which is why I mentioned that.

If you have no other Apple devices, then you may wish to purely use iTunes for transfer and iCloud simply becomes an online back up. Note, however, anything synced by iTunes is not guaranteed to be backed up to iCloud.

John