Ashik
Ashik, Mac Technician
Experience:  Bachelor of Computer Application (BCA), 9+ Years of Experience in troubleshooting Macs, iPhone, iPad, iPod etc
16433418

My iMac, purchased in April 2011, has never functioned well

My iMac, purchased in April 2011, has never functioned well since the downloading of the new operating system. It crashes easily and its broadband download and upload speeds are appalling: 0.485 and 0.421 respectively. I telephoned my local provider and he told me (very quickly and rather impatiently) to turn off my computer and as it restarted hold down Command + R and reinstall what I understood as LS10, but I am 73 and slightly hard of hearing and I might have misunderstood. Anyway, I turned it off and could do nothing with it to prevent its loading the start screen with my iMac log in (and my computer is divided between me and another user whom I have tried in vain to delete). Please can you help me.
Category: Mac
Expert:  Ashik replied 3 years ago.
Hi and Welcome. My Name is ***** ***** I look forward to assisting you today with your question.

We can try running Disk Utility from Single User Mode. Turn your Mac off. Turn it back on and immediately hold down the Command (Apple) key and the S keys at the same time. Then type the following command when it boot into black screen with white letters...

/sbin/fsck -fy (note the space between fsck and -fy)

If you can't run /sbin/fsck -fy then type only fsk -fy

Hit return and the disk utility should run and let it finish. When it finishes type reboot and hit return. Let the Mac boot up. Please let me know once you did that.
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Okay, I've done it. Safari seems to load more quickly now. What next? I'd like to get rid of unwanted messages immediately after I log on, such as a 'java in-line tool' message.

Expert:  Ashik replied 3 years ago.
We can fix it later. Now I want you to reset the PRAM and NVRAM. Follow the steps below to reset the PRAM and NVRAM
  1. Shut down your Mac
  2. Locate the following keys on the keyboard: Command, Option, P, and R.
  3. Turn on the computer.
  4. Press and hold the Command-Option-P-R keys. You must press this key combination before the gray screen appears and before the chime sound.
  5. Hold the keys down until the computer restarts and you hear the startup sound for two or three times.
  6. Release the keys and let the Mac bootup.

Let me know how it goes.
Expert:  Ashik replied 3 years ago.
Did you reset the PRAM and NVRAM ?
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Yes, I think so. Fine so far. Things getting faster.

Expert:  Ashik replied 3 years ago.
Glad to hear that. Now, we can fix the system files. Go to Applications > Utilities folder and open Disk Utility. In Disk Utility, select your hard disk in left column (the first one in the list will be your hard disk), then Repair Permission. After that click Verify Disk and if asked to repair, click Repair Disk. Let me know...
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

I think quite a lot was repaired under 'Repair Permission' and there was no response after 'Verify Disk' was run.

Please don't stop yet. I'd like to know how to get rid of files belonging to someone who shared my computer (under my authorisation, but my daughter set it up) and instead share my computer with another user.

Brilliant so far -- thanks!

Expert:  Ashik replied 3 years ago.
No worries. I will stay with you until we sort this out. What version of Mac OS X are you using ?
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

OS X Version 10.9.4

Expert:  Ashik replied 3 years ago.
You can delete his/her account from your Mac along with files. Follow the steps below;

• Open Users & Groups preferences, then click the lock icon to unlock it. If necessary, type your password, then click Unlock.
  • Select the user you want to delete, then click Delete (-) below the list of users.
  • Click Delete User.

If you have any difficulty, please let me know and I will walk you through it.
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Brilliant! All working fine and very quickly.

One last question: the message below comes up every time I log on because of something I downloaded ages ago, and I don't know how to get rid of it. Any ideas? Once you help with that (if it's possible) I'll sign out and will have no hesitation as rating you as excellent.

You are on the East Coast US, I would guess. I am in England, but was raised in Philadelphia. Thank you for your help.

Lynne-Adamss-iMac:~ lynneadams$ /System/Library/Frameworks/JavaVM.framework/Versions/A/Commands/java ; exit;

No Java runtime present, requesting install.

logout

Then: to use the "java" command-line tool you need to install a JDK.

[Process completed]

Expert:  Ashik replied 3 years ago.

You're most welcome Lynn. Download and install latest version Java from here : http://support.apple.com/kb/DL1572?viewlocale=en_US

That should fix it. Please let me know how it goes.

Expert:  Ashik replied 3 years ago.

Ashik, Mac Technician
Experience: Bachelor of Computer Application (BCA), 9+ Years of Experience in troubleshooting Macs, iPhone, iPad, iPod etc
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

It's all fine. Many, many thanks.

Expert:  Johnny Mack replied 3 years ago.
Hello there! My name is***** and I am one of the senior techs here and wanted to make sure you were able to get your issue resolved. If not please post back with any questions you might have.