Mike the Mac Medic
Mike the Mac Medic, Mac Support Specialist
Experience:  Over 20 years IT experience with Apple computers in publishing, marketing and design.
25267123

updating my query

Customer Question

youre taking so long i went and downloaded word 2011 but the same problem occurs on existing docs and on a new one! No footnote option appears at all on the insert menu!

I'm using word for mac 2008. In a document which Ive been working on for 2 years, and which has many, many footnotes, I'm in the middle of working on it and suddenly the Footnote option has disappeared from the Insert menu! I've quit, I've restarted, but it's just not there. The existing footnotes remain.

To save you having to ask, yes of course I'm in Print View. Insert menu shows (abbreviated): break/pg nos/date/auto/field/symbol/comment. Then a line, then doc elements/quick tables/chart/smart/wordart, then a line, then ....NO Footnote where I expect it!! Instead: caption/cross-ref/index/watermark, then a line, then Pictures/html/textbox/movie/file/object/bkmark/hyperlink.

Category: Mac
Expert:  Mike the Mac Medic replied 2 years ago.
On the View menu, click Print Layout.
In your document, click where you want to insert the note reference mark.
On the Insert menu, click Footnote.

graphic
Under Location, click Footnotes or Endnotes, and then on the Footnotes or Endnotes pop-up menu, click the location that you want.
Under Format, select the numbering options that you want, and then click Insert.
Word inserts the note number and puts the cursor next to the note number in the footnote or endnote.

Type the note text.
TIP

If you add, delete, or move a cross-referenced footnote or endnote, you must update the cross-reference number. Hold down CONTROL , click the cross-reference number, and then click Update Field on the shortcut menu. Word updates cross-references automatically when you print.
To quickly add a footnote or endnote, on the Document Elements tab, under Citations, click Footnote or Endnote.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

It seems with all due respect that you did not read my question. I'll say it again. The problem is that on the Insert menu "FOOTNOTE" simply DOES NOT APPEAR. Of course I'm in Print View. This problem occurred suddenly while working on a doc I've been working on every day for 2 years, and in which I have previously inserted hundreds of footnotes in the usual way, the way you say. I was using word mac 2008, I now am on 2011 14.4, and it's the same! The word "footnote" simply is not on the Insert menu list at all. All the other options are there, exactly as your image shows. "Footnote" is not there! in my original query I actually listed in abbreviated form all the menu items that do appear. The existing footnotes are still there in the doc - thank god! but although in the new 2011 I can put in a footnote through the "document elements" toolbar, I cannot edit their format in that way, the Help menu says to go via the Insert menu, but, as Im saying, "Footnote" does not appear on that menu list at all! This is my original query. I thank you for your attention. Its bedtime for me now so I will check in in the morning to see if you have come up with an answer. Night night!

Go to View / Toolbars to Customize Toolbars and Menus and click on Reset then select Commands tab and select Insert from the categories make sure Footnote is listed on the right
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

OK, good! That does put the command to footnote into the Insert menu! But it does not lead to the formatting options as it used to - it's just the command-option-F. Word help says, in order to format footnotes:

1. On the Insert menu, click Footnote.

2. Under Format, on the Number format pop-up menu, click the option that you want, and then click Apply.

But "format" doesn't appear! It just inserts a footnote in the default format, but I need to change that. Again, I'm very used to this operation, I've done it hundreds of times, but all of a sudden, Format isn't there!

Are you selecting the footnote reference before doing Insert > Footnote?
Quit Word 2011, then open Terminal in Applications / Utilities copy and paste this line:

rm ~/Library/Application Support/Microsoft/Office/User Templates/Normal.dotm

Then hit Enter, open Word and try insert
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

Hi, no, I'm afraid this doesn't seem to have done anything. In the Insert menu, the Footnote command appears, because I dragged it there, but it's just the command, a shortcut to command-opt-F. it's not the "Footnote" that used to be in the Insert menu, that opened to another box in which you could do various things such as format the footnotes, etc. Sorry, no cookie! :)

Customer: replied 2 years ago.

I tried inserting your line into the Terminal window twice -- this is what appeared:

Last login: Tue Sep 9 13:53:54 on ttys000

LR-FREDERICKSs-MacBook-Pro:~ prhrm3ht$ rm ~/Library/Application Support/Microsoft/Office/User Templates/Normal.dotm

rm: /Users/prhrm3ht/Library/Application: No such file or directory

rm: Support/Microsoft/Office/User: No such file or directory

rm: Templates/Normal.dotm: No such file or directory

LR-FREDERICKSs-MacBook-Pro:~ prhrm3ht$

LR-FREDERICKSs-MacBook-Pro:~ prhrm3ht$

LR-FREDERICKSs-MacBook-Pro:~ prhrm3ht$

Please go to the Apple logo on the upper left of the screen, go to About This Mac (DO NOT Select More Info), and tell me the Version (under Mac OS X), the Processor and the Memory, it is all right there.
Sorry try it this way:

rm ~/Library/Application\ Support/Microsoft/Office/User\ Templates/Normal.dotm
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

OS X version 10.9.4

2.8 GHz Intel Core Duo

Memory 4 GB 1067bMHz DDR3

its a 15 inch mid-2009 MacBook Pro.

Just a reminder that until yesterday everything was fine, footnotes worked perfectly, etc. Then suddenly not!

Pasted in new line. No result. Same as before. The "Footnote" that appears in Insert menu is just the command.

You are using Office 2011 right? It still says No such file or directory?

Just to be clear you go to Insert / Footnote and you don't get this dialogue?

Customer: replied 2 years ago.

The Terminal box shows this after pasting in your new bit:

Last login: Tue Sep 9 13:54:09 on ttys000

LR-FREDERICKSs-MacBook-Pro:~ prhrm3ht$ rm ~/Library/Application\ Support/Microsoft/Office/User\ Templates/Normal.dotm

LR-FREDERICKSs-MacBook-Pro:~ prhrm3ht$

But there has been no effect on the Insert menu.

Yes, that's correct, i do not get that dialog. I go to insert/footnote and get nothing. (until yesterday I got the window you show) Now It's just the command to insert a footnote at the cursor, which I dragged there as per yr earlier instructions. It's not the format footnote function box that used to be found as "Footnote" in the Insert menu.

Yes Office 2011, but as my original query said, this problem started when I was still using 2008, it was in attempting to solve it that I went and purchased and installed the 2011. Microsoft tech support was completely unable to help, unless I purchased a Support Package!!

OK the Terminal worked. Can you make a new document and try it? Quit and open Word before you do that.

Also try this line in Terminal quit Word first:

rm ~/Library/Preferences/com.microsoft.Word.plist
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

Aha that's done it, THANKS!!!!

Great, whew!!!!

If you are satisfied, please kindly Accept and provide an OK Rating - or Above or I don't get paid. You don't have to rate at all. If we solved your problem, giving me high marks on the survey and / or bonuses are also GREATLY appreciated. Thanks.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

I dont know why you keep sending me the same email asking me to rate you! Ive replied to it 4 times now, saying that I already did! I did that yesterday IMMEDIATELY you provided a working answer! Here is the proof, copied from this very page on which I am writing:

You have rated an Answer!

09 September 2014 11:27 EST

You replied

09 September 2014 11:49 EST

Aha that's done it, THANKS!!!!

Thanks. If we solved your problem, giving me high marks on the survey and / or bonuses are also GREATLY appreciated.
I am sorry there seems to be a problem with the system sending automated emails please disregard