Mike the Mac Medic
Mike the Mac Medic, Mac Support Specialist
Experience:  Over 20 years IT experience with Apple computers in publishing, marketing and design.
25267123

i have os maverick on my iMac and i cannot open any word documents-please

i have os maverick on my iMac and i cannot open any word documents-please help
Category: Mac
Expert:  Mike the Mac Medic replied 3 years ago.
Mike the Mac Medic :

Please go to the Apple logo on the upper left of the screen, go to About This Mac (DO NOT Select More Info), and tell me the Version (under Mac OS X), the Processor and the Memory, it is all right there.

Mike the Mac Medic :

If you can't do that. Restart the computer then immediately hold the Command and R keys to boot to Recovery HD partition, when it boots select the Disk Utility and then select Continue. Then in Disk Utility select Macintosh HD in the left column and then select Verify Disk on the right. If that is OK in green type then select Repair Permissions. If Verify Disk is not OK try to Repair Disk, then if successful Repair Permissions.

Customer:

hello the version is OSX version 10.9.4 processor 2.4 GHz intel core 2Duo

Mike the Mac Medic :

OK Restart the computer then immediately hold the Command and R keys to boot to Recovery HD partition, when it boots select the Disk Utility and then select Continue. Then in Disk Utility select Macintosh HD in the left column and then select Verify Disk on the right. If that is OK in green type then select Repair Permissions. If Verify Disk is not OK try to Repair Disk, then if successful Repair Permissions.

Customer:

memory 2GB 667 MHzDDR2 SDRAM

Mike the Mac Medic :

Ok thanks follow previous instructions

Customer:

I AM NOT AU FAIT WITH SAID INSTRUCTIONS-SO I WILL WAIT FOR MY FREIND TO THE ABOVE AS IT IS DIFFICULT FOR ME TO COMPREHEND WOULD YOU MIND WAITING FOR ANSWER?

Mike the Mac Medic :

Just go to the Apple Logo to Restart then immediately hold the Command and R keys to boot to Recovery HD partition, when it boots select the Disk Utility and then select Continue. Then in Disk Utility select Macintosh HD in the left column and then select Verify Disk on the right. If that is OK in green type then select Repair Permissions. If Verify Disk is not OK try to Repair Disk, then if successful Repair Permissions.

Customer:

I have just advised that i do not understand your instructions-you may be great at your command in technical abilities but your communicative skills may leave a lot to be desired off.

Customer:

please wait for my friend who will do the what you have kindly advised.

Ok do you know where the Apple Logo is do you know how to restart the computer?
We can wait for your friend if that is what you want to do. Let me know.
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

hi

Customer: replied 3 years ago.

i have tried what you have told me to do and have been unsuccessful

So Verify Disk was OK in green type and then you Repaired Permissions?
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

yes i did

Customer: replied 3 years ago.

still same thing

OK what is happening exactly.
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

when i open a word document it tells me (you can't open the application microsoft word because powerpc applications are no longer supported) it was working before i downloaded the os mavericks today

Oh I see then you must have upgraded from Snow Leopard not Mountain Lion. Was your old system 10.6?
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

yes

OK the problem is you are using Office 2004 which is only for Power PC Macs which Snow Leopard still supported but Mavericks does not. You will need to upgrade your verison of Office.

http://www.microsoft.com/mac/faq/product-upgrade
There may be other Power PC apps that won't work now either. Is everything else working ok?
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

hello no all word documents or downloads in the past-i cannot access

No you won't be able to until you upgrade to Office 2011 or 365