Mike the Mac Medic
Mike the Mac Medic, Mac Support Specialist
Experience:  Over 20 years IT experience with Apple computers in publishing, marketing and design.
25267123

My iMac is delaying every action by several seconds - with

My iMac is delaying every action by several seconds - with the rainbow wheel sometimes goading me to fury!! The disc is only 20% full so that isn't the problem and I don't have any tasks running apart from Firefox. How can I find out what is delaying everything, including inputs from the mouse & keyboard? I am not really computer literate! Ray Hennessy
Category: Mac
Expert:  Mike the Mac Medic replied 2 years ago.
Mike the Mac Medic :

Please go to the Apple logo on the upper left of the screen, go to About This Mac (DO NOT Select More Info), and tell me the Version (under Mac OS X), the Processor and the Memory, it is all right there.

Customer:

version 10.6.8

Mike the Mac Medic :

What about the rest of the information?

Customer:

processor 3.06 GHz Intel core i3 Memory 4GB 1333 MHz DDR3

Mike the Mac Medic :

OK I want you to check some things that may or may not be affecting the situation. It is posted as an Answer because of site rules but it is really just a diagnostic test. So please don't Rate to Finish just Reply to Expert when done.

Open Macintosh HD / Applications / Utilities and double click Disk Utility. Highlight your hard drive, usually Macintosh HD, and click on Verify Disk on the far right. If that is OK in green type, then click on Repair Permissions on the left.

Note: If Verify Disk is not OK try to Repair. If Repair is successful then Repair Permissions if it is not successful let me know.

Customer:

Sorry Mike but I don't know how to Open these files. As I say, I am not very literate having worked on mainframes all my life, never on Mac systems

Customer:

I have opened finder but can't see these extensions

Mike the Mac Medic :

Extensions?? Go to the Spotlight icon at the upper right of your screen, the magnifying glass, and type in Disk Utility. It should pop up under that then click on it to open. Then Highlight your hard drive, usually Macintosh HD, and click on Verify Disk on the far right. If that is OK in green type, then click on Repair Permissions on the left.

Customer: replied 2 years ago.

I have managed to get the Disc utilities [I got a Description about five times before I eventually got the action screen] Anyway, I ran the Disk Utility on the 500.11GB drive and got one gren message: the ROOT DIREC seems to be OK. then it says Verifying BOOTCAMP but doesn't end. When the Verify Disk button relights the Repair Disk Permissions button stays non-operative. And no further green message appears. I have run it twive, with the same result except there are now three extra files in BOOTCAMP and three less free clusters. So the instructions you gave can't be completed. Help??

Customer: replied 2 years ago.

This is my third try to continue the conversation. Each time my typing has been lost and no connection made. PLEASE Acknowledge then I can update the situation which is totally unresolved

Not Bootcamp what is listed under 500.11GB drive?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

Just Root Directory and Bootcamp

Customer: replied 2 years ago.

Root Ddirectory and Bootcamp

Please give me time to reply when you interupt I lose what I was typing, thanks.... Does Root Directory look like this where Macinstoh HD is located:

graphic

Customer: replied 2 years ago.

Sorry for repeating but the JustAnswer system replaces the conversation with two unrelated screens and I don't know what to do so I'll try to be patient.

I haven't found anything called "Macintosh HD" so I can't answer that question with out more direction. when you mentioned that, earlier, I went to the 500.11 GB WDC entry. If that is the same, then it doesn't have anything like that, as far as I can see. But I don't know what window - or whatever - I am supposed to look in.

Can you take a a screen shot of the Disk Utility window?

To take a screenshot hold down Shift and Command (⌘) and then hit the number 3, you will hear a click and the picture will be in Pictures or Desktop folder. To take a selective screenshot hold Shift and Command (⌘) and then hit the number 4, you will see a crosshair drag it over the area you want to take a picture of and let go.

Then go here with any web browser:

http://tinyurl.com/upload-to-mikemacmedic

Choose Select Files and navigate to your file(s) to upload or you can also just drag the file(s) to the Upload box, then click on Start Uploading Files or Cancel to stop. When it asks for a description put in your justanswer.com or pearl.com username. Let me know when upload is complete. Thanks.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

I think I've completed that tho it was trial and multi-error work.

Ok thanks Root Directory is normaly called Macintosh HD so that is ok select it and Repair Permissions. The restart the computer and tell me if the problem persists.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

Well, Mike. As far as I can tell the speed now is just as when new. Certainly the mouse & keyboard are v quick. The Repair Permissions seemed to take forever and listed a whole screen-full of entries. I wonder what can have caused it all.

Many thanks for your patience and expertise. I'll try to remember the Repair Permissions idea in case I need it in future.

Can I Rate to Finish now? [P.S. it will be five star]

Do that every month or so. Cool!

If you are satisfied, please kindly Accept and provide an OK Rating - or Above or I don't get paid. You can always come back to this page at any time regarding this question. If we solved your problem, giving me high marks on the survey and / or bonuses are also GREATLY appreciated. Thanks!!
Experience: Over 20 years IT experience with Apple computers in publishing, marketing and design.