Mike the Mac Medic
Mike the Mac Medic, Mac Support Specialist
Experience:  Over 20 years IT experience with Apple computers in publishing, marketing and design.
25267123

I bought a second hand mac air. The owner supposedly returned

I bought a second hand mac air. The owner supposedly returned it to factory settings however it goes straight to osx utility on start up. When I look in disk utilities I have 121.33 GB Apple sad with sub folder osx. What can I do to stop the utility menu appearing on start up
Category: Mac
Expert:  Mike the Mac Medic replied 2 years ago.
Mike the Mac Medic :

Hold Option when it boots until you see a list of boot partitions. What do you see?

Customer: Recovery 10.8.2 and below choose network
Mike the Mac Medic :

OK choose Recovery HD then open Disk Utility. Select the partition (usually Macintosh HD) right below the device name and then select the Erase tab and Erase. Then quit Disk Utility and reinstall Mac OS X

Mike the Mac Medic :

You should be able to give it your new username and pasword

Customer: I'm in the disk utility however I don't have mac hd below the device name I only have osx but below there is disk 1 and a folder called Mac OS X base system
Mike the Mac Medic :

Choose OS X and see if you can erase that, rename it Macintosh HD if possible

Mike the Mac Medic :

If that won't erase try 1. Shut down the computer.
2. Locate the following keys on the keyboard: Command, Option, P, and R. You will need them in step 4.
3. Turn on the computer.
4. Press and hold the Command-Option-P-R keys before the gray screen appears.
5. Hold the keys down until the computer restarts.
6. Release the keys.

Mike the Mac Medic :

Then see if Macintosh HD shows up now

Customer: I've erased it and it allowed me to rename, should Macintosh HD still be showing in the right hand slider of disk utility?
Mike the Mac Medic :

Yes now quit Disk Utility and try installing to Macintosh HD

Mike the Mac Medic :

You may have to Choose Network

Customer: It's asking me to enter my Apple ID, however when I previously entered this it would not accept. Is this because I need the previous owners I'd.
Mike the Mac Medic :

Yes, let me check

Customer: thank you.
Mike the Mac Medic :

It may be locked to the Apple ID if you can't change it. Are there any other options?

Customer: No, I've got this far before. As soon as I click install the apple sign in to download from App Store pops up. Is there any known way to bypass this. My son has tried to use his log in and this brought up a message informing that this item is temporarily unavailable
You may need to boot from Mac OS X install USB stick.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

How do I do this?

You should see an offer I sent.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
I don't quite understand. Have you emailed me the offer as I don't appear to have anything other than your responses in my inbox?
Sorry not sure why you are not seeing it. You will need to boot from a USB stick with Mavericks or Mountain Lion install image and erase the whole drive and install. Do you have another mac around?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
No, this is my first mac. I normally have windows but my son and husband use iPads so I thought I would give the mac air a try but didn't want to pay a fortune. Therefore bought a second hand product to start on! I may be able to get in touch with the previous owner, but not too sure how happy they will be to pass on their Apple ID
They can always change their pasword that is the least they can do for you. If not let me know
Experience: Over 20 years IT experience with Apple computers in publishing, marketing and design.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Good luck.

If you are satisfied, please kindly Accept and provide an OK Rating - or Above or I don't get paid. You can always come back to this page at any time regarding this question. If we solved your problem, giving me high marks on the survey and / or bonuses are also GREATLY appreciated. Thanks!!